Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Grade Is This 1889 Crown?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 507Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
251 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  05:19 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add westy00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thoughts?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1122 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  05:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In Sheldon grading, it looks AU-50ish... nice crown, I don't currently have any nice examples yet, but I still am looking...
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
715 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  05:49 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On UK grading I think this would get aEF - there is some noticeable wear on the high points, but most of the detail is crisp. The edge knock beneath the date is a pity.
US grading is a mystery to me - I would guess at least AU, maybe a low MS grade?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19359 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am at gVF (British grading).
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64338 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at AU-50 Sheldon. Very attractive.
United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MHGBC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
British grading, id say VF to gVF
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3343 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with most of you, its a near EF coin, just some wear in conspicuous places keeps it out of a full EF (Hair on Queens temple), (St George's chest and arm), but the lustre and general feel of the coin is so nice. This is a beautiful example.

aEF/gVF (Reverse is better).
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
615 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd agree with Paddy and Princetane, approximately Brit NEF.
Shame about the contact marks and rim knock.
Edited by Hogarth
12/07/2021 3:17 pm
Valued Member
Canada
251 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2021  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westy00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok gents back from grading , who's the winner here as it came back as a vf30
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
504 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2022  03:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-30 From who? if it came back from either PCGS or NGC it doesn't surprise me as when it comes to British coins they are clueless. Anyone who knows anything about coins at all even an experienced novice can see the coin is at Minimum VF (UK) which would cross-over @ Au-50 (US) . If however it came back from LCGS who I don't agree with hardly ever as they always undergrade coins unless it is their own VF-30 UK grade is probably about right.
Valued Member
Canada
251 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2022  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westy00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya so I sent it to ICCS with a bunch of British and Canadian coins. I'm new at this and as per ICCS website they grade Brit coins so I sent them only to hear later that it was a waste of money as they arent recognised to do so . I will consider sending to NGC or PCGS .
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
615 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2022  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Why bother spending more money? Just enjoy owing it. This is a very common date for Victoria crowns and even high grade examples are inexpensive.
Valued Member
Canada
251 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2022  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westy00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because I will be selling it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1636 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Um, obvious past cleaning/light polishing? Anyone?

Such a common problem with these keepsake Jubilee crowns...

ICCS does some funny things from my casual observation. My impression is that they seem to occasionally net grade cleaned pieces - I think that's what happened here. Detail is XF+ to AU American grading.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
615 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2022  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, possibly a little too shiny for 133 year old silver. It's missing the natural age related toning I'd expect to see.
Edited by Hogarth
01/08/2022 5:54 pm
Valued Member
Canada
251 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2022  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westy00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had others come back as cleaned in the same batch so possible one slipped thru but not likely .
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 507Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: