Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ian Russell Acquires Eliasberg 1913 Lib 5c 1894-S Barber 10c And Dexter PR65 1804 $1 For $13.35 Mln

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 452Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  12:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Finest 1913 Nickel Acquired by Great Collections in $13 Million "Big Three" Thanksgiving Transaction

https://www.greatcollections.com/kb...-t440-4.html
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10201 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So you were out-bid?

1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
1114 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For a moment there, I thought you bought all of these
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64326 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good for Ian. I just love Great Collections.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1335 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AcesKings to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmmm.....if GC can afford coins like this, MAYBE they could afford to lower their buyer's premiums.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19359 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Russell of money.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Russell charges half of what Heritage and Stacks charge. You should be directing your complaints at them, but why would they care? Their business is booming while money is easy.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64326 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hear, hear. Ian is one of the hardest-working people I know. He has built a unique business model into a hugely successful company in a very competitive industry. More power (and money) to him.
Edited by Coinfrog
12/03/2021 5:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3606 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's just between what Ian exhibited at ANA WFoM, what he bought the next month and this, it's one HECK of a start on his box of 20

1933 $20 Saint
1804 Silver Dollar (two)
1894-S Barber dime
1913 Liberty V nickel
1794 Flowing Hair dollar
1861 Paquet Double Eagle
-----Burton
47 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLinw Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 37 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4702 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've called GreatCollections before on a Sunday afternoon and had Ian Russel himself answer the phone. For a company that size it's amazing that he would be on the lines answering incoming calls like that.
Learn More...
United States
108320 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64326 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ian is always available to talk.

And if you think his buyer fees are low (just 10% if paid by check or wire),then consider his seller's fees - Zero if the item sells for more than $1K, less than 10% if it sells for less. Compare that with the Big Boys.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
502 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Incredibly impressive acquisitions. I first started using GreatCollections only in the past year or two, mainly because of the very low buyer fees, and then started spending some time actually learning a bit about the company itself. Ian Russell seems to be doing everything right with his business at this time.
Edited by hokiefan_82
12/03/2021 11:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8606 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  12:29 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ian has popped in here at CCF once or twice as well in various forum threads. He's a nice guy from my small interactions I've had with him. A friend of mine once owned that 1913 nickel along with another one as well. I believe he also had the 1804 dollar too, but not sure which one it was, I don't think it was the Dexter example. Oh to be able to play with the really big coins! I'm pretty happy just to read and study them at least, and occasionally hold one in hand to study it.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, C4, & NBS Member, 2˘ variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3548 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats in order to Ian.

I agree, I've also only ever had great experiences with GC, lower BP than the other two big auction houses have made it my go to. They also have great communication. Ian has always timely responded with any auction issues. Questions have promptly been answered when I've inquired about a potential purchase, even the day before or day of auction.

Look forward to seeing what Ian and the team do in this industry. Fingers crossed they don't make any changes for the worse.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 452Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: