Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1947 Maple Leaf 50 Cent Au?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 708Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1916 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  11:35 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wrekkdd.....you seem to find justification for too shiny....you are correct in that it is too shiny....wear is wear....shiny wear indicates polished! That coin is vf30 at best. Look at lion and unicorns thighs........flat.......not rounded. Learn to tell the difference....silvo leaves no hairlines if done with very soft cloth. You are consistently missing the obvious. Use silvo or brasso on a 1 cent.....result will look like your Geo 6th 1 cent.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2374 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Polished.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2544 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nickelsguy, I'm fairly new with grading, and as for cleaning I know what to look for. As for a polishing... I can't judge polishing based off of a photo with so much lighting. I posted a 34 cent that was whizzed and polished. Has AU details but it is what it is. Coin hand is the only one that can properly judge luster/shine as well as colour. Unless someone has a pro set up then there is many little variables that can change the look of luster or colour. I'm learning by trying to grade here. I'm not the only one who has the opinion of non polished on many of my posts and maybe they are polished. I can say VF40 and others say 30 and another may say 50+. Considering I am one of the newest people trying to learn to grade I'd say I'm doing alright. Also shine with weak details could also mean a weak strike or tiered die. I'm not sure what years are common for these things as I have not tried to judge many silver coins.

All that being said opinions are opinions and that's all there is to it. I could be wrong, as many others could be on many other posts. Does not mean that they were in the wrong for trying. That's all I am doing here. I'm not a professional grader and some times I come closer then people who have been grading longer then I have. Buy if someone asks for an opinion we all share ours. Not sure why you singled me put here though. I don't see cleaning here, and I do on several other of the coins the OP posted, where some others don't see it. As for luster vs wear it could also be average for this coin of this year to have semi weak details and luster could remain. We are judging off a photos and learning at the same time.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1916 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The point I was trying to make.....you saw it was shiny.....too shiny.....no where near unc....trust your eyes....see what is there....you then attributed it to tired dies......shiny and luster are very different.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2544 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The shine of a coin is relevant the the state it's in, but super high lighting in a dark room can make any coin look like this. Is this shinier then a mint state coin? I can't tell because it's a picture and from a newer member so. Not fermilier with there photo skills. They are better then mine but lighting makes a huge difference when it comes to judging a coin. Place a coin outside in natural light and take a photo. Then bring it inside and take a photo with a secondary light source in a darker room, you get quit different results on the luster shown in the photos. Based on that I'm not judging polished or not based off of shine from a photo. That said I have already posted on many of the OPs coins saying I believe they are harshly cleaned, some I was not sure. Cleaning and polishing are way different as one can easily be spotted no matter the lighting, polishing that does not effect the surface of the coin I cannot judge via a photo. As always said, coin in hand is much easier to determine this sort of thing. I prefer not to jump to conclusions if I'm not sure on something, therefore I give my opinion on what I can see without being biased of photos. Fine scratches is an easy tell for cleaning, shine or a coin in a different story when it comes to pictures.

I'm not saying your wrong. I agree I was a little blinded by the shine over the direct wear on the coin so a lower grade is possible for sure.

Anyways if you want to give me some tips or lessons PM me. I'd rather not hijack the OPs thread. Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2052 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll point out that all of these are 7/7/7 from a single 1947 die punched with the maple leaf. (Except the rare curved right of course). I learned this from @pginrh. Mine also has the chip in the 4.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 708Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: