Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2010 Penny With A Hole

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 261Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
338 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  3:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jdford to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This penny, perhaps is damaged by circulation, or a bad die. Just wondering your thoughts on the matter.
The reason I post as much today is, this is my hobby on weekends, today and tomorrow you'll see me post the most, so if I'm irritating any of you, forgive me. I'm new to the site and wanting to learn more, and y'all have taught me a lot recently and I greatly appreciate it.
The obverse side just below the hole has an almost punch through, the reverse is much bigger hole.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13251 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like zinc rot.
The zinc core has been exposed to air and is rotting away.
Spend it while there is still something left.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64379 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very unusual. Could this originally have been an attempted puncture?

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jdford to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've thought of that to coinfog, but I couldn't think of a way anything could do so without damaging the rest of the coin. However, as JimmyD said of zinc rot, seems it doesn't matter if it's an error or not it's useless either way.
Trash can bound! Thanks guys.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6779 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very, very classic zinc rot.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5406 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 261Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: