Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another 1799 Large Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 394Next Topic  

United States
35 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  10:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add sh521932 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This time sharing before I consider purchasing: cleaned and ED? What grade and price would you consider fair for this coin?

Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64371 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would never even consider buying this coin raw. Period.
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sh521932 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, but why not? Teach me, obi-wan.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As the frog points out, are you sure this coin is authentic? If you are not an expert you should avail yourself of one. It certainly looks cleaned with huge chunks of its surfaces missing. Can't begin to value it without knowing it is real. Slabbing is a cheap way to do that. Working with a knowledgeable dealer may be another way. Put another way, not every coin that has a 1798 date was made in that year.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Edited by numismatic student
12/03/2021 10:40 pm
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sh521932 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With the damage to the obverse, I wouldn't have considered buying this coin. The reverse crack is also suspicious, at least to me.

What book do ya'll recommend for the draped bust and earlier large cents other than Sheldon?

Thanks!
Edited by sh521932
12/03/2021 10:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The book is a good approach after you spend 10,000 hours reading it and doing everything else you need to do to become become an expert. Malcolm Gladwell says that's what it takes. If you don't sleep or do anything else, you can do it in 1.14 years. If not, it takes much longer. If you can wait until you have developed the expertise, it may be 4-5 years of intense study to become an expert on these and you may then know enough to pick a great coin. Most people just buy slabbed or work with an expert because they have lives to live.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Pillar of the Community
United States
2739 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  12:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
its a 1798 cent not 99. that die crack on reverse id's it as a S- 166
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1605 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good catch, jerryc39. It's an S-166, one of the most common 1798's...
Pillar of the Community
United States
986 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  12:43 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
its a 1798 cent not 99. that die crack on reverse id's it as a S- 166

I thought I recognized that reverse crack!!

I would not buy a corroded large cent of this significant price without it being slabbed. I am a raw coin kind of guy, but large cents are tricky. It is easier to tell authenticity on a BU cent as opposed to a barely recognizable corroded cent. I would save the ache and buy a slabbed example, even though they are more pricey.
Valued Member
United States
456 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  09:39 am  Show Profile   Check pristine2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pristine2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I certainly wouldn't berate the OP for buying this coin, which is typically corroded but has quite a bit of remaining detail.

Of course it all depends on what he pays for it, but unless the price is outrageous it seems like a perfectly reasonable acquisition to me. I'd say $40-$65 might be fair.

This is apparently the most common single variety of 1798 cent --- S-166, style 2 hair. But the date does seem a little unusual.

Weighing the coin is a great way to build some confidence in its authenticity. It should be something a bit less than 10.89 grams.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11220 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
although the rev die crack says S-166 that date does not look correct as previously noted. PASS-A-ROO on this one
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13248 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't look genuine to me.
Pass on it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8606 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are so many great books out on Large Cents these days, I still recommend the Notes books not cheap but some of the best photography and the census is still relevant even years alter as the top tier coins haven't really changed much nor have many new ones appeared since. The full set of books will set you back over $600 though.

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/ch...s-26794.aspx

Be sure to re-click on the Half & Large Cent link on the upper left side to refresh and you should see the set of books or individuals.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, C4, & NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
12/05/2021 2:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8606 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Opps I meant to say "Noyes Books" Not Notes Books. DOH, waited too long to edit it as well.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, C4, & NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 394Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: