Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1924 S Lincoln Wheat Cent Doubled Die - DDO-001

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 403Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4424 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  11:00 pm Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Lately the middle-grade coins from the 1920's haven't been going real high, and I was able to pick this quite nice 1924-s for less than $4. Sadly shipping was $4 so I've got eight bucks in it.

Thinking about a new sub-series, I'm not doing any close ups, but encouraging viewing of the whole coin. It's not super hard to see the thicker tail of the 9, harder to see the distended corners on the BE of LIBERTY, and getting downright tricky to see the extra thick lower right leg of the R in TRUST. But they can all be seen, and DDO-001 can be verified from just the while coin shot.

But for a new "occasional" series, I'm putting this up more to show how to cherrypick these without guessing about what is too thick. Note the die chips in the R and S of TRUST, and the filled 4 of the date. DING! Guaranteed die 1 if you see these. A true die stage A will have none of them, but those are almost nonexistent, and most all examples have some or all of those die chips.

So there you go, just a glance at the full pic coin, or any 1924-s in hand or wherever, and you can pick out a die 1 immediately.

1924-S Lincoln Wheat cent doubled die - DDO-001

Pillar of the Community
United States
1199 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice, I like the new training exercises sub-series.
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Interesting find - 1947 S over inverted S http://goccf.com/t/368005
Pillar of the Community
United States
5606 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! Good idea on the sub-series as well, I'm sure that would benefit MANY who read your posts. Really, just a good idea all around.

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
Edited by CoinHunter27
12/04/2021 12:41 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1127 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  01:28 am  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great idea TB. I certain enjoy the extra help. Nice find.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3243 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  07:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a brilliant idea. I often have a difficult time cherrypicking from whole coin shots so this will certainly be helpful for me and others as well!
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
Progress can only be achieved through trial and error. Failure is the greatest teacher.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7493 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm sure that would benefit MANY who read your posts

Who reads? I skim then examine the images provided before I get too many clues on what to look for, THEN I go back and read..
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1716 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pick and very cool idea on training us to look for PUPs, on particular varieties. It's amazing how obvious they are sometimes, just need to know what to look for.
-makecents-
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67785 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful specimen for sure.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 403Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: