Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Genuine Byzantine?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 327Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
696 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  3:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have no experience with ancient coins, my interests are mainly US coins. I took a stab at this one because I figured I couldn't get hurt for only $8. Is this coin genuine and described accurately in the ebay listing?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224706000745?LH_BIN=1
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2561 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin looks authentic to me..
Pillar of the Community
United States
696 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Palouche, Thank you for your opinion. Now I have another stupid question. Which side is considered the obverse and which is the reverse? Sorry to sound so dumb but as mentioned, I know absolutely nothing about ancients.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1054 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not at all a dumb question, it is by no means self-evident what is the obverse and reverse of these coins. Usually for coins, it is the side with the emperor or king or other ruler that is considered the obverse. And here we have the emperor and Jesus ... For Byzantine coins with a portrait of Jesus (which is very common for Byzantine coins), it is always the side showing Jesus that is the obverse, considering Jesus to be the superior ruler. So for the coin here, on the linked page, the left picture is the obverse.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6277 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Which side is considered the obverse and which is the reverse?

A nimbus beats a crown in this game. Christ (with halo) is the obverse; Constantine X (with crown) is the reverse.

Edit: erafjel beat me to it.
Edited by Bob L
12/04/2021 4:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
696 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks folks, you all have been most helpful! Perhaps I will take a larger interest in ancients in the future.
Learn More...
United States
23691 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup, it's genuine.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 327Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: