Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newfoundland 1876 H 50 Cent.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 497Next Topic  

Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  5:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coins70 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been a casual Canadian decimal coin collector for about 24 years. I used to travel to a lot of smaller towns in the US for business and even though I am not a maritime coin collector I couldn't resist buying this coin about 20 years ago in a coin shop in Columbus, Georgia. Every few years I think about sending it in to get graded and then wonder if it's worth it. I think it's one of my most beautiful coins but I don't know what grade it might get. What throws me is the seemingly weak or worn 76 strike. Thoughts? Please forgive my poor photography.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
729 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's gorgeous. You will be interested to know that the portrait of Queen Victoria on the Newfoundland 50c is unique to that coin - whereas many of her obverses were used on multiple different coins, that's the only place you'll see that one.

That coin is comfortably EF so it would trend at $900 CAD or higher. PCGS has graded 49 of them and 28 are EF-40 or higher. The original mint run was 28,000 which makes it quite rare at the starting gate, though, those coins tended to not circulate at quite the same intensity as the lower denominations and I suspect that's why there's a reasonable number of them available at higher grade now.

Anyway, it's really nice. The fact that you picked it up in Columbus GA is amusing....it's been around that coin!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2364 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Check kuh_85's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add kuh_85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See https://www.kijiji.ca/o-profile/102...2/listings/1 for extraneous items for sale from our collection and the last few items from our (now closed) eBay store.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
729 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of those cases where C&C and the Trends don't agree! In any event, if you wanted to sell that coin you would not have much difficulty.
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coins70 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your knowledge. I love that portrait of Queen Victoria. Yes. Columbus Georgia of all places - I never found anything as nice again but I made a point of going to that same store anytime I was anywhere near the area.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4137 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some EBay "sold" prices in US dollars. I think that both CaC and Trends are too generous with their prices, usually quite high:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...e=1&_fosrp=1

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1919 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  05:46 am  Show Profile   Check jdmern's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jdmern to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice piece- Looks like a strong XF
Learn More...
United States
108551 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2374 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF at least....all day long.

Some may think this is blasphemy, but if properly dipped , the resulting brilliant white coin might get an AU grade.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64439 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly at least EF detail, but I'm concerned about possible ED, especially on the reverse.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
729 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think AU is unlikely - the surfaces aren't there and there's a semi-circular discolouration across the obverse. But EF for sure. Full split in the laurel leaves and the rims and eye are in very decent shape.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1919 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Check jdmern's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jdmern to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Some may think this is blasphemy, but if properly dipped , the resulting brilliant white coin might get an AU grade.

I would not want this piece dipped, that would highlight some of the chatter in the fields that is less pronounced with this original toning, and while a strong XF, I would not see this as an AU
Pillar of the Community
Canada
729 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100% agree with @jdmern.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
705 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  07:05 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin! In fact, I'd like to have it for myself.

Don't dip it!
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 497Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: