Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 Copper LD DDO / DDR

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 354Next Topic  
Valued Member
79 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  8:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PurloinedCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
guys...i checked this out by several references including variety vista aaaaannndd...i think I'máright#129310;
(And for those that dont know or havent been a part of my journey of discovery on here, I am aware of the differences between LDs and SDs, zinc and brass)
Thanks guys as always!!

Learn More...
United States
22048 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok great @purl. Can you please tell us the weight? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
79 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PurloinedCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yessir..it is 2.95
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5450 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That seems a little light for a copper coin AND a little heavy for a zinc coin.. But it is closer to the proper weight of a copper coin.
I'm not seeing any doubling on this coin. can you tell us where you see the doubling you suspect is on it please?
Valued Member
79 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PurloinedCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of all, I apologize, I only gave the very first weight and after calibration found my scale had been off by a gram..next 3 weights all came in at 3.05..secondly if you view the coin types of brown 1982 coppers, you can clearly see the similarities..i have been told by people on this forum before in the past that sometimes the doubling can be so close its next to impossible to see wven with a microscope and you have to go with the height and width as well as loss of crisp defined edges of devices..designer initials also can be tell tale when merged and distended obscenly beyond typical. So ive been told.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8240 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not seeing any doubling either. You have a large date Philadelphia copper cent. Keep searching!
ša va bien aller

Valued Member
79 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  04:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PurloinedCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So you're telling me Merc that the thickness absurd size of devices compared to most coins is normal? My 82 SDs look like a third of the size and most of my LDs are the same..ugh so confusing
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42851 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  05:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What did V V give it as an attribution number? 1982 cents have "thick" looking letters and number normally.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
8240 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the best advice I can offer. Forget looking for error coins, collect whatever denominations/series you like and if you happen to come across an abnormal coin, THEN bring it to us to ask about it. Most coins are NOT error coins; error coins are rare. You can look though thousands of coins and not find an error/ variety coin among them. Collect and have fun doing so, it will be less frustrating for you and more rewarding in the end. Feel free to ask questions but just work on building your coin collections and you'll have more fun doing so. Bonne chance!
ša va bien aller

Edited by merclover
12/05/2021 1:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
585 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's some great advice.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5450 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, if you are going by the thickness of the numbers alone, remember that they will only show that in one direction. not in every direction. Meaning if the thickness is uniform (but thick) throughout the entire number then you could call it normal and not doubling.
Now that being said, if the coin die was heavily polished, then the number will show a thickening to them. (The numbers that are incused into the die are tapered - wider the deeper it goes) This helps to facilitated the removal of the new coin from the press.
Valued Member
United States
424 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Skippy72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice die crack from the top of his ear to the top of his hairline and then West....
Valued Member
79 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PurloinedCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
THAT was excellent advice from y'all!! THANK YOU! Yeah ive been frustrating myself LOOKING for errors rather than seperating, making sets and then discovering anomalies...that sounds much more relaxed for sure..thanks guys, appreciate y'all!
Valued Member
79 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PurloinedCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And SKIPPY, extra good looks on that cause I def hadnt noticed!
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 354Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: