Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New User-Are The "Errors" On This 1984 D Quarter And 1984 D Nickel-Mint Errors?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 313Next Topic  
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  05:57 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ladyluc1971 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello I am a new user and I am completely lost when it comes to coin collecting but did like to start and I have a lot if questions. I was already very rudely ask to leave another forum I went to because of my lack of knowledge so if this is not a good site for me to begin on just let me know and I'll leave. I do not want to be a nuisance to anyone not do I want to frustrate any experienced collectors. With that said, can anyone tell me if the "errors" on this 1984 D Quarter and 1984 D Nickel are mint errors or just famaged after they left the mint? And how can I distinguish this in the future w/o having to bother anyone? F.y.i I'm also not to savvy on the terminology yet either. I've seen DDO, DDR, ETC but I'm not sure what all of these mean yet.

Learn More...
United States
21924 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  06:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@lady, first welcome to CCF. Second, please feel free to ask questions. It is why we are here. The glossary and prior threads would be a great place to continue your learning journey.

With respect to these two coins, both have rim bruises (damage not mint errors). As you educate yourself about the minting process, you will learn that such things can not be physically made at the mint. The "smushed" metal is a good indicator of damage.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13154 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  07:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

This is the right Forum to learn.
First of all, educate yourself on how coins are minted. It is only an error if it happens during
the actual striking of the coin. Anything that happens after that is damage.
Learn what an actual error is by going on websites such as error- ref.com
There is a wealth of information in the left hand column. Use the search box at the top.
Go through previous posts to see what questions others are asking.
Remember, you will probably never learn everything but we do have experts in all fields
who can answer your questions. Lastly, do not be afraid to ask any question you may have.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1090 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Again here, and as to the first coin, I too lean towards post mint damage or what we call PMD for short. As to the quarter, I am leaning more to this being a small straight clip instead of damage where the unstruck planchets over-road the metal strip cutters to cut the blanks to be made into coins. I'm sure coop would have much more material about this .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5259 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64188 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's the way I lean as well.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. The Nickel is definitely PMD. I'm not seeing any hint of Blakesley Effect on the Quarter so I'm leaning toward PMD there too.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55377 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree the quarter looks like a mint error. a straight clip, (which is not a clip, but where the edge of the metal was on the blank when it was cut.

The nickel looks more like a bezel:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
12/05/2021 12:14 pm
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tim4186 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with PMD on both. Seems I can still see the reeded edge on the flat part of the quarter.
Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coop, would you not see any form of distortion on the opposite rim of the Quarter if it was a mint error? If it was a clip, even though a very minor one, I would think you would still at least see something directly across the other side.
Pillar of the Community
United States
535 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not all clips show the blakesley effect, and the clip might be small enough to show some reeding.
Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not all clips show the blakesley effect, and the clip might be small enough to show some reeding.

Cujohn, yes, I agree. Now that I think about this I can understand that such a small clip possibly would not affect the opposite side at all (meaning the same side as the clip) of the coin. In addition, my first impression (with my less than spectacular vision) was that the position of the clip shown on the op's reverse picture was opposite the U in UNITED. I never mentioned this in either of my post, I only mentioned the rim, sorry. My alignment was not even close after putting a straight edge on the op's pic and I immediately realized the U is not even near the opposite side of the clip....lol. I would have thought there would be some evidence on the U of the B-Effect but now I see it doesn't line up with the U at all.... duh me..... I stand corrected, my apologies. I need to get some better glasses....ha!
Valued Member
United States
425 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Nothing new to add on the ruling here, but great pictures for a first post!
Learn More...
United States
108132 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 313Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: