Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1972 Quarter Wrong Stock Or Rolled Thin Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 218Next Topic  

United States
14 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  12:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tim4186 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi. Found a strange one in a box of quarters.
It weighs 4.4 grams and seems thinner and smaller
around.

Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. My first question is your scale calibrated? My observation is that this coin has had a long hard life and is showing it with some loss of metal from circulation wear. Over a gram of weight is a lot when it comes to a coin. A planchet that thin would not show as decent of a strike IMHO (considering its worn condition) as does your coin. Please make sure your scales are correctly calibrated.
Edit: If you don't have calibrated weights, just take some normal good looking clad Quarters and weigh them on your scale and see what the weight says. Should read 5.6 or 5.7 since your scale only reads in tenths.
Edited by Bumpkin
12/05/2021 12:34 pm
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tim4186 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The scale seems to be accurate.

I took another pic showing the diameter.
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tim4186 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here is pic showing diameter
Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, if your scales are correct which it shows to be with a Jefferson at 5 grams, then you may very well have a slightly thin planchet or either enough metal has been worn off of the Quarter to reduce its weight. I don't recall the weight tolerances of a Washington but over a gram is still quite a bit which I know is not within Mint tolerances... As far as the diameter, your coin has been worn down which is very obvious as evidenced by the worn reeding. It may have spent some time in a clothes dryer AKA dryer coin or could just be a result of circulation which I am more inclined to believe by its look. We are only talking a few tenths of a millimeter, if that, in diameter difference which would be totally normal for a heavily circulated Quarter. I would not consider the diameter to be an error at all. Thin planchet..... possibly so. I say this due to its approx. 1.2 or 1.3 gram weight difference. Hard to tell about the strike due to the circulation damage, wear and tear. Just MOH.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42754 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. To me it looks like a simply worn-down coin.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 218Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: