Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970 D Washington DDR-004 On Improperly Annealed Planchet From BU Roll

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 279Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1865 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  2:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I glanced through this roll and found three ddr-004. As I was looking at them a second time I noticed one had a small bit of copper showing through. I flipped the next one over and this was it. I'm pretty sure a lot of the roll has some annealing issues but haven't gotten back into it yet. What do you think?

I ended up finding another ten or so coins I considered keepers. About half of the roll has some degree of copper core showing through.
Edited by Willburton
12/05/2021 3:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5275 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the cladding is 75% copper mixed with Nickel.
Normal Content: Cladding 75% copper, 25% nickel, core 100% copper.

So there may be a small amount of un mixed material which is allowing the copper to show up more than usual.
Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with the alloy mixture content theory. But those are some nice DDR's there. Nice visible notches!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1865 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dearborn what your describing is an improperly annealed planchet. Thanks for looking guys. Here's a couple others I own. The SBA is comparable to the color of my quarter, the Jefferson is just over the top.

Edited by Willburton
12/05/2021 4:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1199 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All very nice examples and great pics as always. I'm with Bumpkin, very nice notching on UNITED, great DDR!
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
1865 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok so before I let this post die I want to make sure you guys know what I'm talking about when I say this coin was struck on an improperly annealed plan. That's how PCGS labels them. I'm referring to the two spots I've circled. An impressive arc on the obverse and blotches on the lower reverse. Again thanks for looking guys!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5275 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5415 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  01:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one! I would say that this is improperly annealed. There is enough showing on the obverse in that arc that I say it warrants the label. And a DDR to boot!

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Varieties and Colonial Coinage
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 279Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: