Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2000 S Lincoln Penny With Tons Of REV Die Cracks?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 452Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
43 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  5:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add LJ2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So after my small break from the joys of coin hunting. I found and this... has to be a proof it just came out of a circulated box though making the Wide AM normal to my understanding for the proof coins of this year but this REV is it possible to have this many die cracks or is this defective due to wear and tear? It's very dirty

Pillar of the Community
United States
1131 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, all I can say for this sorry looking proof is that it got busted out of a proof set, spent some, and most likely ended up on a parking lot to make it look like this...
Pillar of the Community
United States
6781 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given the very soft (liquid-like) photos posed, I'm not seeing die cracks.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13252 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry but I'm not seeing any die cracks either.
Perhaps a closeup of what you consider a die crack.
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LJ2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This might be better.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13252 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are not Die Cracks, they are Die Chips and or plating bubbles
Edited by JimmyD
12/05/2021 8:41 pm
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LJ2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is me thinking I am watching all the wrong YouTube coin hunting videos now for terminology & . I really think it might be from the harsh environment though. Like The plate bubbles Because if it came from a proof set shouldn't they be of better quality and have less die chips etc?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2538 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a normal Close AM cent to me with some wear. The light might be playing tricks with my eyes though.
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LJ2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm so a few articles on this forum stated that a Close AM in the proof set for this year would be "a discovery peice". That the proof sets where Wide AM. Now I am even more confused. And Wide AM is sought after in business strike. Can someone clarify for me so my notes are correct lol
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LJ2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5410 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This looks like a Close AM Business strike coin that got a little beat up.
AS for cracks in the die, All I see are die chips - could also be gas bubbles from the zinc dust.
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LJ2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I promise it's a wide haha in the morning I will go back out into my she shed and get a better picture with better lighting when the sun is up. And get you the reason why I believe it's a proof coin. My lighting was very bad in these pictures.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1055 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did they make San Fransisco business strikes in 2000? It clearly has an S mint mark.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1055 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can also check the distance of the FG from the memorial (compare it to a normal P or D in that same time period). The proof coin should be different distance away.
Pillar of the Community
United States
570 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  01:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a WAM which is normal for 2000S proof cent. No S business strikes were produced in 2000.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55478 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even the highest grade of a proof cent in DCAM it would be worth $50 in perfect condition
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/72302559
It would not be a high dollar coin.
You coin is showing damage and other issues. Looks like the reason it was spent was that it was not considered worth keeping.
It not a a Close AM 2008-S. None known for this year. Just a face value damaged cull coin now.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 452Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: