Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1989 Penny Close AM? And Extreme Struck Thru Grease

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 642Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  9:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Post is updated from before so some pics may not be relevant in comments check them out. The AM also looks to be a Close AM

Edited by gorham_collector
12/05/2021 11:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5430 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1144 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me, this is one of two possibilities, and coop can chime in if needed. One, it could be a major struck thru grease or Greaser, or two, it could be a die adjustment strike. I read 1980 as the date by the way .
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's what I was thinking Dearborn but also then the weight being 2.5. Which is odd an having a Close AM.
2.5 Planchet on 1980 they r supposed to be 3.1.
Then if it is a 1989 still a Close AM reverse of 1988 either. I'll post the picp
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
1055 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a Close AM. I'm thinking its a Greaser, unless you see grinding marks we can't.
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No grinding marks on hand. But it also weighs 2.5 grams?!? For a 1980 that would be crazy and then a 1989 normal weight but a Close AM. So like either way it's a win win
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
528 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thin planchet is my thought. Can't really tell from the pic as to how thick it is.
Discovering the truth does not have all the answers.
Edited by VestigeWolf
12/05/2021 10:28 pm
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it shows characteristics of a thin Planchet. The coin in question is to the left.
12/05/2021 10:41 pm
Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is without a doubt a 1989 zinc cored copper plated Cent. You can easily discern this by the split plating on the reverse above STATES. The right urn on the Monument steps has also had its copper plating rubbed off as well and is exposing the zinc core. As far as the Close AM, it's not a Close AM. The A has taken a hit which is evidenced by the split in the lower right leg of the A and has thus moved metal making it appear to be closer to the M. The coin weighs 2.5 grams. It is a zinc 1989 Cent that was most likely created by a Grease Filled Die.
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks bumpkin but I don't agree with the am being hit.there's no moved metal at all that makes it closer to the M. I'll try and take a better pic. I know it's not the best pic best we can do
12/05/2021 10:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8228 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Bumpkin. Wide AM zinc Greaser.
Also, we don't "repost" here. If you had pics to add, you should have done so to the original post. FYI.
ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
United States
42835 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  05:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  05:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay sweet thanks guy for the comments. darn good Greaser it is
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64417 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in the WAM and Greaser camp as well.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55478 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Normal RDV-006 reverse for that year. As mentioned it is it has a Struck Through Grease issue on the strike. Thus the weakness of the devices. But not just a normal 'AM. for that year. The Close AM was not even conceived yet at that point 1993 was the first normal year for that design:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 642Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: