Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1942 P LWC Unk DDO Eyelid And Possibly IGWT

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 446Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
621 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  01:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am still trying to identify this DDO eyelid, I cannot find an exact match. The W looks DD to me and possibly the O,D and the crossbar of the G. Also the forehead looks odd,up into hairline, that may be MD. Thanks in advance.

Edited by gsp193
12/06/2021 08:35 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
44602 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  04:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not seeing it as a DDO.Re-tooling on the face?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7337 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not really seeing any doubling either. I do see a very small lump of metal under the eye, but is it from a doubled eyelid or a die chip?
Pillar of the Community
United States
621 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John1 and Dearborn, I was looking mostly at the W on the right side, and the eyelid doesn't look like a die chip to me but it could be Thanks for looking!
Valued Member
United States
489 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey brother. I believe you do have a doubled die here. There are several '42's with doubling around the eyelid and one that I think looks just like yours being 1942P-1DO-003. You obviously have to look at the other markers to figure out if this is a match. I found a 1942 awhile ago and was able to match it up to one on Coppercoins.com Check out coppercoins.com and see if 003 is what you may have. There's also another doubled eyelid that resembles yours but not as close. Good luck.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4411 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  11:34 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is one of the DDO doubled eyes, but the doubling on the W of WE is master die and on many millions of coins so not important.
Pillar of the Community
United States
621 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bumpkin and Tropicalbats! I will check Coppercoins again I just just could not find the exact one and I was not sure about the W I had not seen that before so thankyou! Also the lines around the forehead that go up into hairline actually is around the whole bust so I imagine that is MD it looks like an outline scratched around it.
Edited by gsp193
12/06/2021 11:48 am
Valued Member
United States
489 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey gsp. If I recall correctly, I believe what you are seeing on Linc's profile is called push doubling. It's just another form of MD. I notice it a lot on Lincolns from the 1960's. Let us know if you are able to match your '42 coin to one of the known DDO examples.
Edit: I was just reading some stuff on error-ref.com and came across something new to me that I haven't heard of. It's called a "Design Berm". It's obviously a totally different concept than conventional MD. Copy and pasted below from error-ref.com is an explanation of Design Berms. Hope this helps.

Design Berms
Definition: A raised line or shelf that partly or completely encircles a design element. The berm is usually associated with large central design elements, like busts and buildings. Peripheral elements, like letters and numbers, are rarely affected. Unlike conventional forms of Die Deterioration Doubling, the berm is clearly demarcated from the normal design. Berms appear to develop quickly and prematurely, as there are seldom any other signs of Die Deterioration, such as flow lines and orange peel textures.
Edited by Bumpkin
12/07/2021 09:45 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1126 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting Bumpkin. OP please let us know if you find some markers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
621 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bumpkin thats interesting! I will research that. Thanks sheldius I was unable to find the die markers but it looks close to 003
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 446Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: