Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Happened To This Cent? (1913 S)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 774Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
355 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  3:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey there folks,

What do you think happened to this cent?

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13252 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's damage for sure, possibly been dragged over something.
Hard to say exactly unless you were there when it happened.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64386 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, maybe concrete.
Valued Member
United States
355 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks folks, that's what I figured.

Fortunately it's going in my Whitman so only the obverse is showing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5410 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they were scratches, wouldn't they be incuse, not raised? Light is from the North. you can see that by looking at the rim at the bottom of the coin. Now look at the anomaly on the right side of the coin - they are bright on the North side and shadowed on the South side. These marks are raised. (Except for the linear and parallel scratch lines on the Left wheat stalk - those are incused
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5410 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
can you give us a close-up picture of the 'O' of ONE and the right side of the coin?

And please keep the lighting the same if you can. (low coming in from the top of the coin)
Edited by Dearborn
12/06/2021 4:54 pm
Valued Member
United States
355 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the best I can do for pics

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2538 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely looks raised to me, no idea what could have caused this but I'm interested to find out.
Valued Member
United States
446 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had to subscribe to see what the experts say. Strike through?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2538 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A struck through would be incuse,my only guess is some sort of severe die damage, not sure if this could have been done post mint but I'm waiting to see what the experts say
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5410 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2538 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like the opposite of a road kill coin lol, maybe a "road kill" die:p

Looks like the die was dragged along concrete a little bit used to strike a coin. My biggest issue is if there was 1 minted like this and the coin coin being that old, would someone not have already found one? Are you able to posted the weight? I suppose it could be possible metal was added to the coin after minting. The left leaf I see some damage, kind of makes it look like a guitar lol. This one has got my head spinning a bit as to how this happened.
Pillar of the Community
United States
570 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were a damaged die, why is this the only one to show up in 108 years? When a coin is scraped the metal doesn't all scrape off. The raised marks came out of the incised gouges. And I think the lines through the one might be a lam. The obverse has a lam on the forehead, and maybe a lam coming down from the s in trust.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2538 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not seeing nearly enough incuse marking to cause this amount of metal displacement. And there is many raised areas on the fields with no incuse marks to explain them(not including the marks on ONE CENT). As well most of the areas in between the raised marks seem level with the fields(or close to it) definitely don't seem like they could have caused this level of displaced metal. I definitely agree that with the age of the coin the odds something like this has not already been discovered seems extremely low to almost impossible. In still not convinced it's just damage and a lam, most would see this coin and think damage right away even if it was an error.

Edit: a struck through would be incuse on the coin, has anyone ever seen the effect on a die that a struck through could could have on the die it self? I personally have never seen a coin posted with did damage due to a major struck through. If that was the case there would be a struck through coin with similar markings but incuse rather then raised. Out of curiosity if a die was damaged due to a struck through what would the error be called on the coins it produced afterwards?
Edited by Wrekkdd
12/07/2021 4:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
577 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cpfull to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think its mostly a glue or resin on the surface of the coin, the letters under it don't really show any damage if it was scraped up. The straight lines on the left wheat stalk do appear to be damage to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5410 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The straight lines on the left wheat stalk do appear to be damage to me.

Yes I agree with that, even alluded to that in my earlier post.

but glue? Hmm. intriguing possibility, Maybe a long soaking in acetone will determine if it is glue or not.
I do see a lam at the top of the 'N' in ONE.
I wonder if Coop or Mike Diamond could look at this one.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 774Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: