Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1833 50c Capped Bust Half Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 892Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
8791 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  10:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Purchased this from a fellow CCF member. Thoughts? Thanks!

IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Pillar of the Community
United States
3719 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic luster, I'd say MS-64, O-114. Great coin!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19580 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  12:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Normally don't see luster on these, they have mostly long since completely patinated over.

Patination is really a sort of (often attractive) mild surface corrosion.
IMO, although others may disagree, coins of this vintage with luster are in superior condition, are more attractive and are scarcer than their well patinated equivalents. It is for these reasons that I prefer coins with as much luster as possible.

Tiny scratch behind eagle's neck doesn't help, but despite that,
MS-64, and among the best of Capped Bust Halves I have seen, even in pictures.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1528 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  12:50 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Decent strike, with a later die state. Common date and die pairing. I don't find this coin super attractive, but I know I will be in the minority with that. Looks like it had an old dip and re-tone, with no luster remaining on the cheek and high points on obverse and reverse. AU-58. No major distractions or contact marks, and I particularly like the reverse.
Valued Member
Australia
438 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  07:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with previous post.
Old dip.
58ish.
Ride due west as the sun sets. Turn left at the Rocky Mountains.
Pillar of the Community
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  07:40 am  Show Profile   Check pristine2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pristine2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The luster doesn't look genuine to me, but I could only be sure with the coin in front of me.

If I'm wrong about that, then MS-64. The features are in excellent shape. If it's been cleaned, Unc Details.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67743 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost looks chrome plated.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3719 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like original luster to me. I don't see any sign that it's been dipped.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2134 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The scuffs in the fields could be seen as minimal circulation and might get it AU58; if not MS64. But I'm just chiming in.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4577 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll split the difference and say MS-63. Looks original to me.
Valued Member
United States
469 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't particularly care for this one.

I don't like the cheek area, looks like it was dipped or polished.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3541 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless the history of the coin storage is known, there is no way to tell that this example has or has not been dipped, but if one was to call out every coin that looks like this example as dipped, you would be correct most of the time. The coin is a nice collectable example with a little toning. A case can be made for a grade of AU58 with some circulation rub on the eagle's head, bust area, cheek, neck and freedom cap.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2896 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is my PCGS AU-58. I love it but Numismatic student's coin looks a lot smoother and nicer.

I'd say MS-63. Lovely coin!

Paul Bulgerin
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67743 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just find it hard to believe that this coin could have survived nearly 190 years with this kind of mint bloom. Dipped? Definitely. More than once? Perhaps. Market acceptable? Probably. Unnatural looking? Definitely.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4024 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with frog. Regardless, nice example, nice strike. Old dip, retoned, I'd call it MS63.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11919 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2021  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i can see it at MS64
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 892Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: