Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1973 Lincoln Penny With Left Side Edge Thicker.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 445Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  10:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jjb16033 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a 1973 Lincoln penny with left side edge thicker from what looks like it was off center when struck. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks Joe

Bedrock of the Community
United States
44602 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Looks like a minor MAD=misaligned die. In future posts,please crop photos properly before posting...thanks.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
489 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. with John on this one being a slight MAD. Just a bit of info here in a nutshell. A MAD is not the same thing as an Off-Centered Strike even though it sounds like it should be the same thing. A MAD will only affect one side of a coin (usually the obverse) which is caused by a slight, sometimes major, shift in the hammer die that strikes the obverse side of a coin. An Off-Centered Strike, which there are numerous different variations of, will affect BOTH sides of a coin due to the planchet not being centered properly during the strike. Off-centered strikes are more times than not much more pronounced than a MAD. Just FYI.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6082 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree.
Welcome to the Community.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7341 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57330 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also part of a tilted die issue. The contact marks flatten already the fin. But I feel these issues are part of MD on that is caused by the Machine Doubling. If you run into a new OBW roll of coins and note this examples of some die marker coins and some not affected with the same die marker. I would like to see examples of this to prove my theory.

Again they need to be from the same die pair and show this sometimes and other times not show this tilted die affect. When you spot this save the whole roll, because I would also like to know how many were normal and how many are affected by the Machine Doubling. It could be some with Machine Doubling, some without Machine Doubling, some with the tilted die issue, some with the tilted die and showing a fin. The ones with the un-flatted fin would be ones to save for a premium. So if you have a whole box of these, check for this and keep the safe in 2X2's to prevent them from getting flattened. Looking forwards to your finds. Then we will know for sure how this happens on the coins.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
12/08/2021 12:41 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 445Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: