Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1947 Penny Blunt 7 Grade

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 253Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  12:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Binthe957 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What do we think of this one?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2516 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
best practice to start your own thread for coins I'm not sure about grade on that one. Colour seems weird to me and with the amount of heavy circulation dings and rim damage makes me think the luster is not natural, possible old whizzing job?

Edit: I'm going to guess definitely whizzed. It's has the same weird colour around the devices (almost like a foggy white colour) same goes for the whizzed coins I have. Not sure exactly what it is that causes the greyish colour in the edges of the devices.
Edited by Wrekkdd
12/07/2021 12:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8684 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF20
heavily damaged
hole filler only
worth about 25cents
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Learn More...
United States
108156 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your reply was split into its own topic for the proper attention.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Binthe957 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's "whizzed"?

Full disclosure: This was completely covered in crud. Picked it away w a toothpick and wiped w a jewelry cleaning cloth. Bad move?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64205 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly once buried and then one side cleaned?

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1014 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
wiped w a jewelry cleaning cloth. Bad move?

Most definitely!

Never use any cloth for coins!
Elliot Mitchell
Experienced coin roll hunter with 5+ years in the hobby
My Registry Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/334324/
My IS Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/411655
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/408555
My Ebay Store: https://www.ebay.com/usr/coinhunter...047675.l2559
ANA # 3204217, CONECA # Y-6505
Edited by CoinHunter4
12/07/2021 2:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2516 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whizzed means someone used a machanicle brush to polish a layer of the coin away,main reason I think that is due to the luster on the obverse(non heads side) looks out of place with the amount of damage and wear to th coin. And the only time I have ever seen a greyish hue around the devices like in your photos was on the whizzed coins I have. You can see it the most around the left leaf and 1 cent. Never got an answer as to why that happens.

As for any form of cleaning it tends to take away any value from a coin, there is a couple different chemicals that you can use on a coin and not damage the coin such as acetone. I have never tried the other methods I have read about.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
503 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite damaged, I'd like to say F15 but with all that damage I would just call it a hole filler for someone :).
RCNA Member

There's always two sides to the coin if you have the patience to see. -Kathryn Budig
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4122 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heavy damage like it laid in a driveway for a long time and led a hard life. Don't think it's whizzed ... it's just that this process was explained in the last few weeks and some see any lightness as being mechanically modified. It's only a hole-filler and not a very good one at that.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 253Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: