Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Black Marks On 1882 Three Cent Nickel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 297Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1115 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  3:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not my pics and sorry they are fuzzy but does anyone know what causes these black marks on copper nickel Three Cents? Obverse on this coin.
This coin is straight graded AU-55 but will this get worse? I have seen similar coloration on many and often it is dirt or grime but I dont think this is.
Not really interested in buying this one but curious what it is.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1097 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They look like carbon spots, but as to how they got there, may have been anything with a dark substance that possibly ate into the surface, but not enough to details the coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2578 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The pitting on the reverse suggests corrosion, and possibly removal of the surface gunk that revealed the pitting. Nickel is fairly strongly resistant to atmospheric corrosion, so the most likely culprit would be the Copper content. To me, this suggests that the obverse gunk cannot be removed without revealing additional surface damage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1115 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks , on the reverse I was assuming that was glare from the lighting on the slab but I was not sure
Pillar of the Community
United States
5421 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What TPG graded it?
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1115 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ANACS
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2021  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pre1933 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As stated carbon spots. Unfortunately they look much worse on white coins vs gold coinage in my opinion. They are almost a base of honor on GCs these days
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 297Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: