Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2000 P Nickel With Lathe Lines?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 318Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1197 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  6:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been searching Lincoln bank rolls for a few years now and have never been able to find a coin with lathe lines. I just recently started searching nickel bank rolls and think I have finally found one. Let me know what you think.

-makecents-
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42715 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks correct to me, nice find.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19345 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lathe lines like this must indicate (to my eye), that the working die was carelessly finished, and must constitute some sort minor die variety.

An educative coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5257 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1197 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for conformation! I feel like I have been looking for one of these forever and every time I thought I had one, it was nothing more than really nice concentric die scratches.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
7652 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find!
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1197 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  05:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Earle42!
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
2700 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great eye and find. Lovr the strength of them.

Certainly seems like lathe lines but ....
Why are there lines across the top of some of the letters as well (U of UNITED in particular)? I'm not saying it's damage at all, just trying to understand the process.

The concentric lines must have been on the surface of the working die when it was hubbed by the working hub?
Or were these on the working hub and got transferred to the working die?

EDIT: Giving it some more thought makes me think it must bo one the working die face before it is hubbed otherwise there would be a lot more dies showing them if the lathe lines were produced by the working hub.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Edited by Petespockets55
12/08/2021 08:17 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55377 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They were left over then the blank was being prepared:

The problem that the die polishing was not thorough enough to remove all the lathe lines on the blank. When when the design was hubbed into the blank, the lines still showed through. This has happened before.

Other times it is on the center areas of the die:

Interesting, but not much of a premium for these. (new ones buy them)

CoopHome:What are lathe lines and how are the left over on a die?

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
12/08/2021 12:02 pm
Learn More...
United States
108132 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1197 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for looking guys! This was a long awaited find.
-makecents-
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 318Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: