Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Have A 99 ASE Ungraded And Uncirculated Likely MS70 Except For One Milk Spot (Pretty Small) Help?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,098Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2021  08:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Oheyitsmikeb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I received a 1999 silver eagle in a sleeve uncirculated but ungraded directly from a well known coin dealer however upon looking closely at it I saw a milk spot that is smaller than like a pea. well smaller than a pea for sure but just for an idea of what I'm working with .I've read lots of websites and watched YouTube videos all claiming that there are some do it yourself methods that should work however they also all day not to clean coins that are key dates or that are valuable because of the potential that it could make it worse and cause micro scratches. so I'm curious what I should do because I assume PCGS and ncg won't pass it as ms70 with this on here and the price drop from 70 to 69 is devastating .. like in the thousands to 10000s range so I need to this to be a 70 or it's basically worthless. Should I send it in to PCGS and have them restore it first and then once I get it back then send it back in to have graded ? Is there a fool proof at home method someone can suggest ? Or am I just screwed at this point and shouldn't waste the time or money trying to either restore or grade it at this point ? Helpppp me please !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2815 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2021  08:47 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless you have a ton of experience with coin grading, you should not trust your judgement to determine that a coin is a 70. Many who are new to grading make this costly mistake.
People assume that a coin that came "straight from the mint" and "had never been touched" will automatically be a 70. Nothing could be further from the truth. A friend of mine just sent in a monster box of silver eagles (500 coins) dated 2000 and got ZERO 70s. ( NGC). The box had never been opened before. Do yourself a favor and save your money.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67731 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2021  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could not agree more.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
595 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2021  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would be interested in seeing a picture if you have the time and interest in posting. Front and back. It would not change the response you have received so far but it does make the conversation more interesting.
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2021  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oheyitsmikeb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok well what if it is though? Should I just chalk it and possibly lose out on tens of thousands of dollars based off an experience your friend had? I am basing my assumption of it being a 70 based on comparing mine to the 200+ I've viewed on Heritage Auctions and PCGS that are well below the one I have yet they all received a 70 grade and if they did then I cannot fathom how mine wouldn't. Regardless your response didn't touch on the real questions I had in regards to the milk spot and restoration and so on . So any additional insights on that part of my post would be extremely appreciated .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2526 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2021  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just 62 of the nearly 12,000 1999 dated silver eagles graded by PCGS have been graded MS70. Restoration (3% of the coins value-minimum $10) and grading fees ($50-100) could easily exceed the value of the coin if it grades MS69 or below. It's the most minor of ticks, and/or the opinion of a grader, that keep a coin from MS70.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4991 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2021  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Oheyitsmikeb,

The chances of you getting a PF70 are pretty low, but honestly its not my money. If you want to submit a bullion coin and risk the cost of slabbing then I support you. But just to show you, I have a 1990 ASE, it has the same milk spots and I'm pretty certain it won't get a 70, but considering I picked it up for about $20, I'm not concerned (all the marks are on the plastic window, other than the milk spots the coin is perfect to me).

Look at this eagle I picked up for $48, that's the cost of it unslabbed, this is what yours will look like. Can you see what caused it to get a PF69? Someone slabbed it for me and paid probably $100 to get it slabbed and I picked it up for $48.
Note: All the marks are on the slab.

Edited by hfjacinto
12/09/2021 10:26 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
6373 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2021  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HF - The milk spots to the right of the "R" in "Dollar" would be my guess as to why that coin scored a 69. But for what you paid for it I wouldn't care either! It's still a gorgeous example!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4991 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2021  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
HF - The milk spots to the right of the "R" in "Dollar" would be my guess as to why that coin scored a 69. But for what you paid for it I wouldn't care either! It's still a gorgeous example!

Exactly where I am going with my post. This obsession with a "perfect" coin is meaningless. A PF 69 is as close to perfect and there is NO guarantee that the PF70 if graded again would still merit a PF70. For the price of a regular unslabbed coin you can get one as perfect for half to less than half of the price. Especially bullion coins, why are we slabbing coins that are supposed to be bullion (value of the silver content?)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2815 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2021  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Asks for help:

Quote:
Or am I just screwed at this point and shouldn't waste the time or money trying to either restore or grade it at this point ? Helpppp me please !

Receives help:

Quote:
....Do yourself a favor and save your money.

Replies:

Quote:
Ok well what if it is though? Should I just chalk it and possibly lose out on tens of thousands of dollars based off an experience your friend had? I am basing my assumption of it being a 70 based on comparing mine to the 200+ I've viewed on Heritage Auctions and PCGS that are well below the one I have yet they all received a 70 grade and if they did then I cannot fathom how mine wouldn't. Regardless your response didn't touch on the real questions I had in regards to the milk spot and restoration and so on . So any additional insights on that part of my post would be extremely appreciated .

Your milk spot issue is a non-issue as soon as you accept that your coin is 99.99% not a 70. If you are so sure that it is a 70, then send it in for conservation/grading. I'll try my best to not say the 4 painful words "I told you so!"
Valued Member
United States
469 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2021  12:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You already had a thread created before where you got upset and threw a fit at everyone that told you the chances are slim to none of it being a 70.

http://goccf.com/t/411356
Pillar of the Community
United States
8370 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2021  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What I don't understand is this: THIS is the grading section where members submit photos and we do our best to come up with what we think the coin would grade at. So, where's the coin?
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
693 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2021  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It never ceases to amaze me, the obsession people have over so called MS-70 "perfect" coins. Grading is and always has been subjective. Just because a TPG says a coin is MS-70 doesn't necessarily make it so. In their opinion it may be. TPG's have misgraded many a coin over the years. The true test of the grade is convincing a prospective buyer that the grade is what the slab says it is. Some may be easily convinced because the label says so even though the coin may not. Personally I think the MS-70 grade is just another gimmick and I am satisfied with a so called MS-69. If you showed me a MS-70 for $1000 and a MS-69 for $65, I'll take the $65 coin. Looks just as nice in my collection. It is ill advised for people to be spending big bucks on so called MS-70 coins with the sole purpose being investment. The dream that some day they will be worth even bigger bucks. Rarely is that the case. I collect for the beauty, pleasure, and history, knowing quite well that the investment side rarely pays off.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8370 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2021  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Grading is and always has been subjective

Exactly.
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4944 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2021  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's the same coin from the thread that NumismaticsFTW linked above then I don't see it grading 70 at a reputable TPG. I can clearly see numerous imperfections in the fields even from those relatively small photos.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17875 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2021  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Milk spots cannot be removed with damaging the coin, people have tried for decades. The first chemist to figure out the decades old mystery will be rich.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,098Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: