Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

20th Century Type Set

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 76 / Views: 2,556Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
United States
4980 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So now that I completed this set did I learn anything? We'll mostly that coins that were reasonable early last year are no longer reasonable. I also learned that in some cases I exceeded what I felt was a fair value (even negotiating a lower price). So what does this mean.

It means that my instinct is telling me that we are in a bubble and long term there might be little appreciation (actually a lose is expected) in value. I know this is a hobby and that we shouldn't treat coins like an investment but I also don't want to lose a lot of money. So after the 7070 I may curtail my purchases to bullion/ common silver coins at least until the market corrects.

I also realized that I enjoy albums, I'm not going to get an MS wlq for an album but it's just nicer flipping pages (I noticed the same with the 7070). Slabbed coins are better for value/ return but nothing beats looking at coins all lined up in an album.

Oh well, you can't win. I guess this is why Carl had 10 LWC and 20+ Mercury dime albums.

Edited by hfjacinto
01/18/2022 8:12 pm
Learn More...
United States
112162 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know this is a hobby and that we shouldn't treat coins like an investment but I also don't want to lose a lot of money.
Look at it this way, you still have the coins. Imagine if you had "invested" all that money in other vices...

Quote:
Oh well, you can't win. I guess this is why Carl had 10 LWC and 20+ Mercury dime albums.
How is that not winning?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4980 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Look at it this way, you still have the coins. Imagine if you had "invested" all that money in other vices...

I was thinking of you as I typed that. I said to myself a few months ago "Why hasn't jBuck completed his 7070?", and when I got to the last 4 coins "I now know why jBuck hasn't finished his 7070!!"
Pillar of the Community
United States
2089 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It means that my instinct is telling me that we are in a bubble and long term there might be little appreciation (actually a lose is expected) in value.

I think it depends on the specific subsection of the numismatic market.
Prices of Peace dollars are clearly in a bubble, but series like the Classic Commemoratives are still a good value IMHO. In fact, coins like the 1893 Isabella Half Dollar trades at the same value as it did 25 years ago (about $500 in MS63 condition).
Learn More...
United States
112162 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was thinking of you as I typed that. I said to myself a few months ago "Why hasn't jBuck completed his 7070?", and when I got to the last 4 coins "I now know why jBuck hasn't finished his 7070!!"
I have that one hole left. The Seated dollar with motto. I have looked at so many on eBay, but have not found success yet. I almost bought one this weekend when a discount was offered, but someone beat me to it. Still looking, got about ten on the watch list hoping one will grab me and say "bring me home!"

The kicker is they are all slabbed. Not a single hole in my 7070 was filled with cracked slab coin. The Seated dollar without motto was a raw buy at a coin show, but I am not feeling brave enough to buy a raw coin on eBay. I did find one from a decent seller, but it was snatched by a braver soul before I could muster the courage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4980 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...but series like the Classic Commemoratives are still a good value IMHO. In fact, coins like the 1893 Isabella Half Dollar trades at the same value as it did 25 years ago (about $500 in MS63 condition).

Sadly these aren't included in the 7070 or the IHC collection, but I agree with you, some series are still well priced a lot of the others aren't.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2089 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sadly these aren't included in the 7070 or the IHC collection,..

Seems to me the problem is being dictated by Dansco what you should collect.
People need to stop obsessing with the 7070 and just collect what they like and what they can afford.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4980 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Seems to me the problem is being dictated by Dansco what you should collect.
People need to stop obsessing with the 7070 and just collect what they like and what they can afford.

I think you and I are on the same page..

Quote:
So after the 7070 I may curtail my purchases to bullion/ common silver coins at least until the market corrects.
Learn More...
United States
112162 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But... but... I already have the album!

One hole left, I am not quitting now!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2089 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But... but... I already have the album!

Sell it on eBay and get rich!
Learn More...
United States
112162 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4980 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like NGC cleaned up some registries, I've been at 65 for the last few months and today I'm at 60, the highest I've been. Considering I didn't do anything but still moved up... GO ME...

for prosperity (so I have proof when I go lower again)

United States
19 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hinterlander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very impressive. Nice set!
Learn More...
United States
112162 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've been at 65 for the last few months and today I'm at 60, the highest I've been.
Outstanding!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
460 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good for you!

My sets tend to go down in rankings over time. Go figure!

Great set, by the way!

Steve
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Edited by Winesteven
Yesterday 7:04 pm
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 76 / Views: 2,556Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: