Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Buffalo Nickel Artificial Toning? (1914 D)

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,087Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2022  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Check jadenusa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jadenusa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For what it's worth, I pulled the trigger and bought this one, albeit at a lower price. I lost a little sleep last night worried I made a mistake... It arrives Tuesday, at which point I'll need to decide to send in for restoration and slabbing or return it. Someone make me feel better please! ha
Pillar of the Community
United States
8004 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2022  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous coin !
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4041 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2022  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely post in hand pics when you get it!
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Check jadenusa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jadenusa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some photos in-hand after I removed it from the cardboard flip and put into a mylar flip. The reflections and lighting aren't great, apologies.
The toning was much less pronounced in-hand but under a loupe all the verdigris spots from the seller images were there.
I sent it out to PCGS the same day for restoration and grading.
PCGS reports it's "Being Imaged" right now. I guess that's a good thing? Will they even image a tampered coin?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4041 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you didn't place a do not holder on a minimum grade/details then yes, they will holder anything genuine. Fingers crossed no cleaning!

It's a great looking, well struck example. Though tough to judge through the plastic. Keep us posted
Pillar of the Community
United States
696 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love the Barfalo's that take on a rose and purple toning. Great Coin! Congrats.
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  08:51 am  Show Profile   Check jadenusa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jadenusa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The grade is on, after PCGS restoration to remove the verdigris. Cleaned with UNC details, boooo. Some options, curious what you all think:
1. Keep as is in the new slab for my collection, still a very nice coin
2. Crack out and put in my collection book
3. Try to sell in slab and recoup some of my $$ and track down a graded slab
Unfortunately the return window has closed, Ty2020 called it though. TV photos in the listing, but was being sold as loose. A good lesson for me, if it seems too good to be true, usually is. Onward!
Valued Member
United States
184 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jerry Picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd leave it in the holder and try to get the most you can for it if that's the way you want to go. It is a nice looking coin for a set. Here's the past Heritage Auction prices.

https://www.ha.com/c/search-results...ortBy-071515
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,087Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: