Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2022 RCM Gold Plated Proof Silver Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,051Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
142 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2021  4:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tender4848 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Anyone out there have any inside information on what the 2022 Commemorative Proof Silver Dollar will be.

Just chilling out today enjoying the Festive Season watching World Junior Hockey from Edmonton and looking at my Canadian Silver Proof Gold Plated Collection. I have a Gold Plated Silver dollar from every year since the first Gold Plated Silver dollar came out in 2002. I have housed this collection in the RCM Masters Club Wooden Premium Collection Case.

One of my favorite collections.

Edited by Tender4848
12/30/2021 11:48 am
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2021  12:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A stunning display. I also have all the gold plated silver dollars.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7518 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2021  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! Do you store the earlier issues in a separate tray/case?

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
Canada
142 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2021  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tender4848 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commems

The RCM Masters club case comes with 2 display racks. I have the other earlier Gold Plated Silver Dollars on another tray but was having issues trying to crop the picture to get it below the 300 kb to display on this website.

So right now I have room for the next 2 years Gold Plated Silver Dollars. I have another Case ready to go after that.
Learn More...
Canada
10158 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2021  09:28 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Tender4848 - nice collection!! I have only a few favourites, including this one, in my collection.

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
142 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2021  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tender4848 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So much for the World Juniors....

2022 is the 50th Anniversary of the Summit Series in 1972 that featured Canada vs. Russia.

Could the 2022 Gold Plated Silver Dollar be a 50th Anniversary Version of the 1972 Series?

I have several autographed 1997 Proof Sets that was the 25th Anniversary of the Summit Series

1-Yvan Cournoyer and John Ferguson
2-Paul Henderson and ?
3-Brad Park and Rod Gilbert

Edited by Tender4848
12/30/2021 9:31 pm
Valued Member
Canada
98 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jazzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fairly confident this year's main SD will be Alexander Graham Bell.

The "2022 Annual Favourites Subscription" page on the mint site contains the following text:

Quote:
Personality rights of ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL are used with the permission of Alexander and Mabel Bell Legacy Foundation.

The subscription contains only the standard mint set, specimen set, and standard SD. The mint set obviously does not have any coin with Bell and this would be an unlikely deviation for the specimen set which has always been nature-based. Given we already have a gold coin with the theme, it follows that this year's SD should be Alexander Graham Bell (it's impossible to say for certain though).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7518 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jazzy: I believe you are correct. Courtesy of a Google search, I've seen a Masters Club reference to a standard proof silver dollar and a selectively gold-plated proof silver dollar in the 2022 Pure Silver Proof Set. The SD theme was described as "A Canadian Celebration of Innovation" highlighting Bell.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7518 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen an image of the Alexander Graham Bell SD and have to say that it features a highly-stylized portrait of the inventor. The design is described as a "word-art" portrait - rather than giving Bell realistic hair, beard and jacket, the design presents these elements via a blending together of words of different sizes inscribed with different fonts. The words are meant to present various aspects of Bell's life, his work and his accomplishments. It's interesting, to say the least - it could be good, it could be marginal. I think I'll hold off judging the design until I can see it in hand.

The overall commemorative design also includes a realistic, circa 1876 telephone of Bell's design and a facsimile of his signature.

Edited by commems
01/17/2022 4:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
588 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The design is described as a "word-art" portrait

I have not seen this coin... is it similar to the 2012 UK 2pound Dickens commemorative?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7518 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
is it similar to the 2012 UK 2 pound Dickens commemorative

Yes, but with some realistic facial features - the words mostly make up Bell's hair and beard plus his jacket collar. His cheek, nose. eye and neck are sans word-art.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7518 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From what I saw, the SD has a mintage of 50,000, an issue price of $69.95 CAD and will begin shipping on February 8th. The design is by Armand Nina.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
588 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it shipping Feb 8, it should be in the MC release notes next Tuesday. I will let you know.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7518 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If it shipping Feb 8, it should be in the MC release notes next Tuesday. I will let you know.

Cool! Look forward to your thoughts!

I should add, I think the R C M coin looks much better than the UK coin!

The Fine Silver Proof Set should also be available next week. Price: $234.95 CAD, Mintage: 20,000, Shipping: February 8th. As in the past, all coins in the set (5 cents thru 2 dollars) will be 0.9999 fine silver.

Edited by commems
01/18/2022 6:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7518 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I popped over to the RFD site to see if there was any chatter about the new 2022 releases. Essentially, there wasn't any, but two posters did post images of the upcoming Bell silver dollars.

Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,051Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: