Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Connecticut Tricentennial Verification

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 428Next Topic  
Valued Member

Italy
248 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2022  12:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone,

I am not a coin collected, but I scout and sell other items; everything I know about coins I learned from the generous members on this forum. I am an American living in Rome, Italy, so I come across very few American coins. The only coins I have found and bought, I posted on previous threads on this wonderful forum.

I found this Connecticut tricentennial coin this afternoon. I have very little information on this coin and I am hoping for some help. I read the article on another thread that NGC published about a fake. This coin does NOT have the evidence of that fake coin, ie the metal marks on the reverse near the 'D' and 'O'. This coin is well struck - which I hope is clear in the pictures - and presents the details in an authentic copy.

It pings like silver - I know this from bullion coins and handling silver in general.

However, I do not have an accurate way to measure - it's about 30 (I know the correct measurement is 30.6 and it may well be, but my dollar (euro) store ruler isn't great) and it weights 14.41 - or 1.61 over the 12.5 it is supposed to be.

My question, what do you think? Is 1.61 permissible as overweight? Is the coin authentic?

Thank you all very much in advance!

Best,

R.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7552 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2022  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is a fake, I'm afraid.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
Italy
248 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2022  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After doing some research, which I should have done before, I agree.

It cost less than $20, so I am not too bent out of shape. And, I haven't made a bad buy in long time, but this is a good lesson. ALWAYS do as much research as possible before.

The problem is, the ONLY other American coin I bought in Rome is the one below...I got swept up haha.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7552 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2022  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Connecticut's brother, as seen in a recent CCF thread: http://goccf.com/t/413595.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
01/03/2022 2:21 pm
Valued Member
Italy
248 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2022  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. I allued to this in my response . . . if I had found THAT thread, I certainly wouldn't have bought it. But, $20 lost, lesson gained!

It pings very very similar to actual silver; dimensions are close, but not exact. I've made two good buys, and ONE bad buy in coins.

Glad it was only $20!
Valued Member
Italy
248 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2022  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so . . . should I destroy the coin? Maybe I can justify the $20 by convincing myself I got it off the street!!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7742 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2022  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That coin is a poorly executed counterfeit as you now know.

I'm sorry that you lost your money, but know that the CCF members are always available to support your inquiries for the next time.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
Italy
248 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2022  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks.

Reselling, I make bad buys - at least three 'fakes' in hundreds of items bought and sold. This was number 3; unfortunately, it was the cheapest . . . and likely most preventable...
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 428Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: