Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Easily Can Ebay Catch Shill Bidders?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 631Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4477 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2022  6:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In case anyone is wondering, I am not planning to start!

I have heard people voice their suspicions, but have you known of any actual examples?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2523 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2022  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't worry or think about shill bidders at all. I determine how much I'm willing to spend on an item and throw one bid at the end of the auction.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1105 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2022  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't worry or think about shill bidders at all. I determine how much I'm willing to spend on an item and throw one bid at the end of the auction.

I do the same!
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21780 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2022  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's incredibly difficult.
Valued Member
Canada
258 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2022  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westy00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder when selling something if a last day retraction of a bid was done to gain a lesser price under a different profile.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8005 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2022  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with nfine and coaster.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20681 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2022  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never thought of it. I don't get involved with auctions.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2705 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2022  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If your instincts tell you that something seems "fishy" with a particular seller, run. There are other coins and other sellers out there. Trust that instinct.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1992 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do they try to? Genuinely curious.
I'm sure they could work out strong probabilities based on bidding history and IP addresses.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17687 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think they really try, I also don't think they really care. Years ago back when we all used our names or email addresses for our id's (and before ebay started hiding identities. you could build up a good clear and obvious case of shill bidding being done by someone, report it to ebay with all the evidence, and they would come back and say "We don't see anything wrong here." Ebay was not really interested in protecting their bidders. On of the reasons they were the anonymous bidder id's was because people were contacting bidders to let them know they were bidding on fake/altered/ or mis-described coins. Or worn them after the fact thatthe coin they had won was a fake.
Gary Schmidt
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21780 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm sure they could work out strong probabilities based on bidding history and IP addresses.

Not really. Both are pretty unreliable. Here is a screenshot (with identifying info removed) of members with duplicate IPs here. This is only about 1% of the complete list of the list.

Bidding history is just as unreliable. We used to sell on ebay a LOT. There are 2 reasons we stopped. 1. Listing fees. 2. Buttheads with no clue saying we're shill bidding.

We used to go to shows all the time and handout ebay business cards. Handed out thousands of them. All the time we heard, "We don't do ebay." We'd say well you always stop at our booth so just look at our stuff. So we ended up with dozens upon dozens of people whose only purchases were from us. Can't tell you how many time we saw know-it-alls on forums just like this swearing they had PROOF we were shill bidding.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 631Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: