Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Short Term Solution To The Dansco Issue.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 444Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5395 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  8:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Buying after market new and used Dansco products is expensive, but I'm gonig to stick with them and hope they will get back into operation soon.

So, I do not want sloppy labeling on used or re-used incorrect labeled for coins. like this:

I like the way I custom labeled my pages. like this:

But To get the proper pages with the correct layout and number of holes to match existing pages is difficult.
So I tried taking a Dansco preprinted page laid out the way I want it and took 90% isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip than found that I can erase the Dansco labeling so I can add my own later on. Much cheaper in the long run.
have a look at this test page, notice the bottom 4 holes and associated labels.

I'll be looking for a printing company that can emboss the gold lettering on the outside of the albums later.
Edited by Dearborn
01/13/2022 8:28 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10249 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice job on re-use

Quote:
I'll be looking for a printing company that can emboss the gold lettering on the outside of the albums later.

I am sometimes gullible, You're just kidding right?
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
01/13/2022 9:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5395 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:
I am sometimes gullible, You're just kidding right?

haha, yes I was kidding on that part...
Edited by Dearborn
01/13/2022 9:59 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42814 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  04:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thought: what if Dansco went totally out of business today,what is the next best brand? Maybe it is time we stopped letting Dansco pull or chains?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5395 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4611 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thought: what if Dansco went totally out of business today,what is the next best brand?

I would say that Dansco is in a class by itself, but if Danco doesn't come back, I would say Littelon albums are better quality then Whitman, but neither are as nice as Dansco.

You also have the Coin Collector and Intercept Shield albums, both are supposed to be nice but I've never used them.
Learn More...
United States
108448 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good job!

As for the embossed gold lettering, I used to date a girl who could do that for you, but that was a long, long time ago.

Dansco will be back. They are doing the best they can given the circumstances (not being helped by all the covidiots).
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EDM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dansco has been closed for two years, right? Seems like if they wanted to stay in business they would have two years ago with the move or not. COVID kept everyone home looking for something to do, like collect coins. Anyone watching eBay sales have seen coin auctions go insane. It would seem that 2020 and 2021 would have been the years to make a living producing coin albums.
Edited by EDM
01/14/2022 09:51 am
Learn More...
United States
108448 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Seems like if they wanted to stay in business they would have two years ago with the move or not.
Easier said than done. As my mother would often say, "Think you could do better? Then do it."

Dansco may want to stay in business, but they have to work with the hand they are dealt. I do not know the difference in employment numbers between LA and WA, so their moving may or may not have been the right idea (although like many things, it was planed before the pandemic). They may also be dealing with supply chain issues like everyone else. I doubt they are willing to share those details as they have more important things to sort out.

For what it is worth, several places around here have permanently closed shop due to staffing issues. It is not the "lazy kids" as much as it is 55+ opting for early retirement. Many of my neighbours did just that. They are their own bosses now.

But I digress...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42814 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dansco has been yanking our chains long before COVID. Is there a link that explains the business? It seems like it is a mom-and-pop type business done out of their garage kind of thing, is that true?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
108448 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dansco is a small, family owned business. Their old location in LA was a decent size, not a Silicon Valley garage for sure.

Sure, they have been lax for several years now, but it looks like they were ready to turn it around when the world threw it another curve ball. It may be real, or just another excuse, I do not know.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3420 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  03:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been looking for ways to reverse engineer how to manufacture such albums.

I am certain I can do everything - the only problem is able to demonstrate the archival quality.

Next challenge is the cost - how cheap can I bring it down to so that it is marketable? I'm sure most people would cringe over the idea of 50 dollars (or maybe up to 100 dollars for rarer type) so in reality the production and material cost has to be way under this.

Such albums were made back in the 1960s so surely with today's technology it's a lot more doable?

My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5395 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20560 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just don't know why people don't switch to Whitman. I did and they are OK with me.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
108448 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I made up this page for the proof issues in my Franklin album"
Looking good!

Quote:
Now I just need to fill it up
Learn More...
United States
108448 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just don't know why people don't switch to Whitman. I did and they are OK with me.
Same reason why Ford owners do not trade in their F150 for a Tundra?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 444Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: