Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1858 Seated Liberty Quarter

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 171Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  08:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ccaps97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This one is not as nice as previous quarters. I had sold some Seated quarters and dimes, liberty head nickels and flying eagle pennies on ebay just to get a few dollars out of the coins. Trying to get the grand kids interested in them, so far not much luck. I won't sell anymore except maybe the worn-out coins for silver value as I have a lot of them. The coins stop at 1912 and the oldest American is 1788. Older foreign coins though. There are a few newer coins that I suspect my aunt must have added to the bag which was collected by her great uncle.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64375 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say VF-30. Slight rim bruise at K-7 obverse?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4330 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This one is not as nice as previous quarters

I could not disagree more!

This is what a wholly original VF30/35 choice coin should look like. Most coins in this series from these date issues are rife with problems from old cleanings that brighten the devices to gunk that gets caught up in the nooks and crannies of the coin from being handled improperly over time.

You may not believe this, but I would take this quarter over the other one you posted for its eye appeal. Great great looking coin. If it comes up for sale please message me.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11220 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
could be the photos but coin exhibits a green hue overall. may have been stored in a toxic holder. I think its closer to VF30
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23068 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice original looking VF-30.
Valued Member
United States
456 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Check pristine2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pristine2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Trying to get the grand kids interested in them, so far not much luck.

I worry about this, and what it might mean for the long-term value of a coin collection. The shrinkage and decline of the stamp market is a cautionary tale.

I woke up one morning a few weeks ago and discovered that I was really, really old. Old people like me grew up with coins being a fundamental constant in our lives. All but the very largest purchases involved handling these circular pieces of metal, imbued with value and authority by the state.

My children, by contrast, might go weeks at a time without handling a single coin. Most purchases daily are settled with the wave of a cell phone or, the swipe of a card. How much interest is there likely to be in coins among generations of people who don't actually use them?

I think it is a lovely grey maiden quarter you got there, btw. Easily VF-25, or better.

Edited by pristine2
01/14/2022 4:02 pm
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ccaps97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did see the green in the previous pictures, but it was in the picture not the coin. Here is another picture with more light on it. But just looking at the coin in my hand there is no hint whatsoever of green. Oh, and while I appreciate the ask, but I don't plan on selling any more of the coins, and actually I misspoke when I said I sold some on Ebay, I sold them in some of the coin collector's sites not Ebay. I didn't want the BS that comes with Ebay sometimes so I know the price is lower with coin collectors but there was never and problem all parties were happy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
986 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unusually bright, maybe cleaned or wiped. VF-25
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 171Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: