Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: US Classic-Era Commemorative Coins With Unrealized Multi-Year Potential

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 207Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7057 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  09:48 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Quote:
A theme that is emerging from several of your recent threads is the fact that collectors (of the issue era and today) managed to avoid several additional multiple year/mint issues that were proposed and debated, but never approved by congress.

It would be a fascinating topic to know how many of such coins were avoided due to legislative decisions to deny requests for additional years and/or branch mint issues.

There are certainly a number of classic-era US commemorative coin bills that, in their language at introduction, left open the possibility of a multi-year program. A few that come immediately to mind (with links to my posts about their multi-year potential) are:

- 1936 Albany, NY Charter 250th Anniversary
- 1936 (1938) Delaware Tercentenary
- 1936 Battle of Gettysburg 75th Anniversary
- 1936 Long Island Tercentenary

There are others in this "potential multi-year" category that I haven't yet discussed (they're on my "ToDo" list!), these include the:

- 1936 Bridgeport, CT Centennial
- 1936 Elgin, IL Centennial
- 1938 New Rochelle, NY 250th Anniversary

In addition to the Providence, RI half dollar just discussed (1936 Providence, RI Half Dollar Proposal), there are others whose final language, as passed into Law, did not include a date/year requirement or specifically include an expiration date, both of which opened the door to potential multi-year programs (unfulfilled).

Such "omissions" were essentially standard in the early Acts that authorized the coins. For example, the Acts authorizing the 1918 Illinois Statehood Centennial, the 1920 Maine Statehood Centennial, the 1921 Alabama Statehood Centennial and 1921 Missouri Statehood Centennial half dollars all lack specific date limits. Restrictive language was also lacking from some later Acts such as those for the 1934 Maryland Tercentenary, 1935 Hudson, NY Sesquicentennial, the 1936 Cincinnati Music Center and the 1936 Columbia, SC sesquicentennial half dollars. There are likely more...I'll go through my notes and attempt to put together a more complete list.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
108449 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting!

I wonder if the omissions were because nobody knew these restrictions were needed. No one had ever pondered, "Who would want to celebrate this centennial for more than the year in which is what reached?" That is, until it happened, when someone realized a potential cash cow.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7057 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...someone realized a potential cash cow.

I tend to agree for the later issues.

I wouldn't dismiss, however, that the relative "newness" of commemorative coin legislation - and the initial lack of exploitation of collectors by the coins - led to the omissions in early coin Acts. Several of the early coin bills were patterned after the 1918 Illinois Statehood Centennial half dollar Act which did not include date restrictions.

Of course, by the time the 1930s rolled around, many of the sponsors were all about maximizing coin sales to collectors and sponsors worked with their Representative or Senator to gain any advantage possible.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
01/14/2022 12:14 pm
Learn More...
United States
108449 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Several of the early coin bills were patterned after the 1918 Illinois Statehood Centennial half dollar Act which did not include date restrictions.
That tracks. Two staples of "keep it simple" are "copy/paste" and "not broke, do not fix."
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7454 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll go through my notes and attempt to put together a more complete list.

Lovely commems - I'm thrilled that you would even consider such a request.

No pressure amigo - it just seemed like a topic ripe for consideration for your unparraled research knowledge.

Your knowledge and willingness to share are both amazing and exemplary examples of CCF contributions.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64375 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating, thank you.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7057 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my initial post above, I mentioned that there were several potential multi-year commemorative programs for which I planned posts with their stories. In each case, their potential exploitative nature was curbed by the Senate Committee on Banking and Currency.

Here are links to the stories of these half dollars (all are in addition to the links for the Albany, NY Charter, Delaware Tercentenary, Battle of Gettysburg and Long Island Tercentenary half dollars found above):

- 1936 Bridgeport, CT Centennial
- 1936 Elgin, IL Centennial
- 1936 Wisconsin Territorial Centennial
- 1938 New Rochelle, NY 250th Anniversary

Edited by commems
01/16/2022 07:46 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 207Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: