Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1896 $1 & $2 Silver Cert - My Head First Dive Into The Deep End.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 486Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4330 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  09:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The currency bug is real and its worse than the tattoo bug that bit me and that's saying a lot. Lord help me, I might be in trouble...

After a solid decade of collecting coins I asked myself, "Self, how many seated Liberty Seated dimes can one man buy?" The answer is plenty more but I am redirecting my focus in 2022 and rounding out my collection for the kids to have a variety to sell when I am dead and buried. I never knew currency would be so fun and inviting. It's like collecting art work.

The accountant cannot understand why I am taking my annual bonus and not buying more Apple or Tesla but all of you can understand. I'm planning on a buying spree in the coming months and will be posting some nice pickups for all to enjoy.

I am not sure if you all want to guess grades so let me know. We'll start with this one. It is a PMG certified bill.

After considerable research the past week and a very productive conversation with a 40 year currency dealer, I was educated plenty and now am on the hunt for "choice for the grade" examples. I now know the rarity of certain Fr. #'s versus others but in limited Fr. runs as with this bill, it's really the eye appeal for the grade level and the hunting is very fun.

Please enjoy and thank you for looking

Edited by dsfreeworld
01/14/2022 6:40 pm
Learn More...
United States
108449 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The accountant cannot understand why I am taking my annual bonus and not buying more Apple or Tesla but all of you can understand.
Priorities!

Very nice note!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10212 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super example of probably the most artistic series of notes ever designed! Congrats!
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
4330 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
probably the most artistic series of notes ever designed

I had zero clue these existed until last week. I could not agree more. This is like buying a painting as far as I am concerned and actually more enjoyable than some coin searches. From what I can tell, choice examples of these in certain grade ranges are tough to come by. Most I have seen have creases, ugly stains, slight tears etc.. and not worth the spend. While others are out there but knowing where to search, for a novice such as myself, it becomes a challenge. I feel like I lucked out here. I utilized the NSDA portal as well as others and uncovered a couple of dozen currency dealer websites. I am now fine tooth combing the inventory in search of nice bills to add to the collection. My wife wants to kill me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7777 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My favorite series is the Educational Series of 1896. One of these days...probably after I get my UHR Saint.
Edited by oih82w8
01/14/2022 11:37 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3526 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the dark side @dsfreeworld.
Both coins and paper money have incredible artistry with a noted advantage going to paper money for the larger canvas. The 1896 Educational seizes ($1,$2 and $5) are considered the height of the engravers art. My $1 example has great eye appeal especially for a mid-grade.

This is a 24" by 12" hand inked lithograph of the note by Jackson Robinson, known for his playing card art.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4330 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Steve
WOW! That is some example you have there. Five out of Five drools

The artistry is nothing short of amazing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
687 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are very nice bills! I'm a big fan of the $2 bills, don't have one of that series... yet
Mark
ANA Member
Official Snowbird! Illinois in Summer, Somewhere warm in Winter
My7070
Pillar of the Community
United States
2068 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Check RK55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add RK55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love these notes! I think my top 3 are the educational series $1-$2-$5, and close behind the 1901 $10 Bison and the 1899 $5 Indian Chief.

If I would try a guess I would say VF-25/30 Range. Beautiful note!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64375 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steve has a killer $2 Educational as well, hope he'll show it here.
Edited by Coinfrog
01/14/2022 6:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4330 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Steve as a killer $2 Educational as well, hope he'll show it here

Pillar of the Community
United States
3526 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my 1896 $2 Silver Certificate. All of the series 1896 Silver Certificates are fairly expensive, with the $5 note leading the pack. I've found that mid-grade examples with original paper qualities is probably the way to go for budget minded collectors wanting the most bang for their buck.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2068 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Check RK55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add RK55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steve, that is a beautiful note. What is holding back from a higher grade? Fro the photo's it looks near perfect.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4330 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've found that mid-grade examples with original paper qualities is probably the way to go for budget minded collectors wanting the most bang for their buck.

That bill is awesome
5 of 5

I am at the minimum barrier to entry for mid-grade, I think. I will post shots with assigned grades after a bit.

I changed the name of the topic to include the $2 since we wound up that way. This is the Educational Note Series Thread. Who's got the $5?

Here's my $2. Again, to my novice currency eye, I aimed at wanting the grade range with no apparent damage markers and little to no creasing which I believe I have accomplished. If so, I have a desirable bill compared to most in the grade and price range. Any expert insight is appreciated.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3526 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of the photos I post are scans. Scans are great for two dimensional imaging. To get an idea about a notes condition, you need side lighting to add an extra dimension. The "third" dimension makes it easy to spot folds and handling marks that hide during scanning. These two photos are the same note. Scanned and photographed with side lighting.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4330 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow. that is amazing and what a great education. Thank you!

Can you get away with that when the bill is certified in a holder? I can see on the raw example you're sharing that once you lift the scanner top and add the side lighting the corners lift as do the other imperfections from the crumpling/crinkling. Would this apply to a scan in an already "flattened" environment as a vacuumed-sealed holder creates?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 486Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: