Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Having Fun With A Big Lot Of Uncleaned Roman Bronze Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 350Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2846 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  12:14 pm Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently received this lot of 160 uncleaned Roman bronze coins from an eBay seller in Serbia. I plan to have a lot of fun with these over the winter months.

I have started the cleaning process and have already come across some nice coins. Here is a high grade Constantine I AE-3 GLORIA EXERCITVS from Siscia.

A Severus II Quarter Follis from Siscia.

A Valens SECVRITAS REIPVBLICAE AE-3 from Siscia with nice green patina.

And a worn, but interesting, Leo I and Verina AE-4.

So far, the lot has had its share of culls, as all lots do, but it has had enough decent coins to make me feel I didn't waste my money.

I'll continue to post any interesting or nice coins I find and clean.

Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
7665 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That looks like fun! Nice finds for sure.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
United States
936 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't done that in awhile. Keep posting, the Severus II is a great find.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6146 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a fun project. Looking forward to updates.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4540 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Terrific portrait on that Severus II. Genius reverse is in a high state of preservation as well. RIC VI 170a, I believe.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2846 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two more coins to share with you today.

First is a Severus Alexander (222-235 AD) AE-19 from Nicaea. This one didn't need much cleaning at all. I decided to leave the two encrustation spots on the reverse.

Second is a so-so Constantius I (293-306 AD) Quarter Follis from Siscia. I may work on this one a bit more.

Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
6146 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work. Just water soaks and brushing?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2846 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  12:02 am  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For these coins it's been hydrogen peroxide, brushing with a nylon brush and trusty silver brush (which is just about worn out) and careful work with my dental tools.

I have been using my electrolysis zapper on some coins as well but haven't discovered anything special on any of the coins I've worked on that way..

Lots of cleaning to go. I have about fifty coins that show some hoped for promise soaking in peroxide. There have been about twenty culls so far. It's too early to tell about the rest.
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
795 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  12:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flag4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool. I've tried that once myself and can attest it's not as easy as you would expect. Lot's of work to uncover some hidden gems . . like that Serverus . .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2846 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These two bronzes are "works in progress". There is still more to be done trying to remove more of the dirt without damaging the nice patinas.

A Constantius II (337-361 AD) FEL TEMP REPARATIO AE-3 from the Sirmium mint. Most of the coins in the lot look to be from Siscia. This one has a highly detailed reverse.

A Gratian (367-383 AD) GLORIA ROMANORVM AE-3 from Siscia. This type is not as common for Gratian as it is for Valentinian I and Valens.

Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
4540 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

These last two have retained a level of original detail that's well above the norm and have to my eye come out quite attractive "as-is". I'd say you're right in thinking any further cleaning should be undertaken with a good deal of caution and restraint.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2846 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few more coins to share tonight. These were all in the easier to clean category.

A beautiful, high grade Valentinian I SECVRITAS REIPVBLICAE AE-3 from Siscia with a lovely green patina.

Another Quarter Follis, this one of Maximinus II. I've left some dirt on it and haven't decided whether to try more cleaning or stop.

And a nice Licinius I D N LICINI INVICT AVG with VOT XX in wreath AE-3 from Ticinum. It still has a bit of silvering on top of the nice light green patina.

I am also turning out my share of cull or damaged coins as well. The pile keeps growing as I go through the coins.

Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
6146 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're getting some excellent results. Thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
795 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flag4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am also turning out my share of cull or damaged coins as well. The pile keeps growing as I go through the coins.

Unfortunately that is always an issue with these, but it's all good . .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
506 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing, looks like a very interesting project with some nice finds!
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 350Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: