Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unsearched Coin Roll Hunting

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 568Next Topic  

Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  1:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Gampy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Quick question(s): Are there unsearched rolls of 5-cent coins available: in the sense that they we can reliably assume that they are actually unsearched? In the case where they probably are not really unsearched, will one still find coins from say the 60s and 70s? Also, Is it a problem to get rolls of nickels from typical banks in Canada? (seems in the US banks don't like to give out rolls. I'm trying to interest my grandkids in coin collecting and thought it'd be fun to have them search rolls of nickels for some real nickel content coins. Thanks for your interest!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8017 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can only speak on the US aspect. It's been my experience that nickel coin rolls are quite available--even during the pandemic. Just a few weeks ago I picked up $30 in nickel rolls from two bank branches--some commercially wrapped, others customer wrapped. In all, I had a nice mix of nickels which would allow someone to fill a few dozen holes in a US nickel album in one sitting--even one of the silver nickels and a '38 P. Even had a few earlier dates in the mid to high AU range.
Valued Member
United States
288 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EDM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When searching rolls from banks have you noticed any difference between variety in rolls from large metropolitan banks and small town banks?
Canada
24 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SMRStars to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in the Toronto to Niagara Falls corridor, and have had no problem getting rolls that are "unsearched"
Not saying that skunk searches don't happen, but not often enough to be discouraging.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8830 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...for some real nickel content coins...
The last nickel 5cent coins were struck in 1981. 25cent and 10cent coins were struck in pure nickel for about 20 more years, thus you are much more likely to find nickel content in those higher denomination rolls.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Canada
11 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rustoleum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Every Canadian bank I've gone to have ample nickel rolls they are happy to hand over, if not a whole box of 50 rolls then usually 10-30 rolls. I went through 30 rolls today, and I'm sure there were well over 100 nickels from the 70's. Not rare at all. It's also not uncommon to get nickels from the 60's. I probably saw 15 of those. I got a 1942, a 1947 Maple Leaf, and my first American Buffalo nickels. It was from 1925. Pretty cool!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2876 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I go through many rolls of nickels per week, my best luck has always been from the same area. Pre 1970 5 cents are much less common the 70s-80s. George nickels in circulation are hard to come by.

As for the OPs question, if talking about unsearched rolls it depends what unsearched means in the scenario. I have seen many rolls saying for example 1922-1936 but say no key dates, then it says unsearched. It could mean unsearched for grade and or errors or varieties. I wouldn't trust an add saying such a thing. If you mean unsearched bank rolls, there is really no way to tell if the coin has been looked at or not.
Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gampy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi: OP here. I just wanted to say, thank you everyone, for your opinions and advice. I enjoyed reading your comments. Sounds like I'll be taking the grandkids to the bank to get some rolls soon. :)
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 568Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: