Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Worth Picking Up 50-Cent Mint Rolls As Investment?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 763Next Topic  

Canada
11 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  7:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rustoleum to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently took up the hobby of coin collecting for fun, not for investment. Today at my bank I asked if they had any 50-cent pieces set aside, and the lady brought a box that had about 15 50-cent mint rolls from 2011, 2012 and 2015. Since my hobby is just to find one of each circulation coin, I picked up one roll of each just to pop one coin out as a keeper and return the rest, but when I googled them afterward I found that they sell for anywhere from $25-$45 per roll even though their face value is $12.50. It made me wonder whether I should keep the roll unopened and maybe swing by to pick up the others. Do any of you veterans think these sort of mint rolls might actually grow in value over the years? Is it worth hanging on to them?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2366 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Check kuh_85's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add kuh_85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Meh. By the time you've paid the fees and had some 'item not received' refunds you're unlikely to come out enough ahead to be worth the trouble. Factor in inflation and you're more likely to lose money in the long term. Unless you really enjoy the buying/selling/haggling aspects of it you may even find it negatively impacting your enjoyment of the hobby. My 2 cents worth :-)
See https://www.kijiji.ca/o-profile/102...2/listings/1 for extraneous items for sale from our collection and the last few items from our (now closed) eBay store.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1312 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would largely agree with kuh_85, cost of shipping will you on these things. I tried selling single coins from a roll of 2016 50 cent pieces (very passively), have sold a few, but not many. If you can do local pickup sales, may be worth it. Otherwise, can be more pain that what it is worth.

For a new person, you might find it interesting looking through them and trying to pick the best MS coins, whether that is only a couple rolls or all of them, up to you.

Good luck and neat find.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
675 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The cost of shipping rolls is prohibitive. You can sell individual coins which takes a lot of work. 30 years ago, an acquaintance accumulated the 1992 25 cent province roll sets hoping they would grow in value: today they can only get FV.

If you enjoy collecting rolls then by all means, go for it and have fun.

Happy collecting!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2904 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they were special mint wrapped rolls and you can afford to put the money aside then I would grab them at a bank for face value. You could try and sell them as full rolls for a tiny profit, worst case you can open then, get the best examples and then bring then back to the bank which is what I would do.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4229 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Investing in coins is not a very good idea .
Especially when you are talking roll hunting and readily available
Low value coins .
Take the hobby for what it is worth , fun and relaxation .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4292 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use the 50 cent pieces and nickel dollars (almost all are UNC's) and give them as tips to the beer cart girls on the golf course, to my paperboy and even my barber who really enjoys them. The first time I give one or two to someone, they are astounded and thankful. I know that I've started off 3-4 youngins on their collecting career, just from the golf course.
Valued Member
United States
296 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bugil46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep.
Just for fun.
A certain seller forum cost me up to 56% for fees and shipping, etc.
Don't think I will get rich soon.
Canada
11 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rustoleum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your perspectives, everyone! I've decided to just open the rolls and keep one coin in keeping with my hobby of collecting one of every circulation coin. As they say, 'keep it simple stupid'.
Learn More...
Canada
10158 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  10:31 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I open them all, to hunt for errors and higher grades.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
25 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin9328492 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 2020 rolls were actually a loophole yet to exploit (a MS-60 is worth $1)
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 763Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: