Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1899-S Half Eagle For Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 466Next Topic  

United States
43 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  9:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mkirch to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked this 1/2 Eagle up in an estate collection purchase a couple years ago. Interested in what grade you think it might be. Thanks for your opinions - Kirch

Pillar of the Community
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Check pristine2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pristine2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it makes AU50. Maybe XF45, if I failed to have my coffee before showing up to work at PCGS.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67642 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say EF-45.
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jakes Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would guess au-50
I've only been collecting for a couple years (2017). Favorite Coin's are Standing Liberty quarters, Working on my type set: "knowledge is power" -Thomas Jefferson
Edited by Jakes Coins
01/15/2022 11:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1520 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-53
Pillar of the Community
United States
9800 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  12:04 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS graded this piece AU53. Yours looks every bit as good.
https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/l...eagle-au-53- PCGS
ANA #R3154474
Valued Member
Australia
437 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  01:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might be the lighting but it looks like its had a polish.
Ride due west as the sun sets. Turn left at the Rocky Mountains.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
614 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  04:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this coin was cleaned. But maybe it's just such lighting.
Valued Member
Canada
152 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at AU53 - AU55, possibly details cleaned. Difficult to say by these photos though.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11908 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
guess at AU55 without better photos. too much light
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mkirch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to you all. Much appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2710 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First,

I have some concerns regarding your coin. On the obverse, the centrils of the stars look hollow, the lower hair curls don't align correctly, and the details of the ear seem inconsistent with the grade. On the reverse, the mm plainly looks doubled, and I am not aware of a repunched mm on 1899-S half eagles. The horizontals in the shield are ragged on the left side of the shield, and should be even. The eagle's feathers above and behind the right talon (our visual left) look off. The lettering seems uneven. The point of the shield looks off.

This could be just lighting and the photos, but it made me pause.

What is the weight of your coin?

Thanks!
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mkirch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
fortcollins - Coins weight is 8.36 grams.
Edited by Mkirch
01/16/2022 7:30 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67642 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight is spot-on for this coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2710 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting the weight. That takes my concerns off the table!

I can't get a good feel for the grade from the pics. It looks somewhere on the EF-AU line.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23407 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The photos don't really show the surface color or quality. AU-58 from these photos but might be a low MS coin.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 466Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: