Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Tell Me What Type Of Buffalo Nickel This Is Impossibly What Year?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 876Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
17 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  04:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jordan1em84 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was going through this coin collection I inherited and came across this Buffalo nickel please help thank you very much

Bedrock of the Community
United States
44584 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  04:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  04:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jordan1em84 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you John1
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7707 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  05:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

Its not possible to determine the date without resorting to a destructive etching of the location where the date used to show. The coin was minted in San Francisco.

Also, looks like it has been in the ground and corroded. Numismatic value is minimal.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  05:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jordan1em84 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  05:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bugil46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep.
Can't tell date without chemicals.
Very worn.
Little value.
Pillar of the Community
United States
640 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community.
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  08:58 am  Show Profile   Check jadenusa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jadenusa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to tell 100% with that picture, but it does look like a two-feather.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67573 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17182 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , it's a type 2 San Fransico mint , possibly a 2 feather variety . Acid on the date area might bring up some of the numerals .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1buff2many to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is a 1920 S.

There are a handful of Buffalo nickels that you can tell the date on no dates by some unique details, although this one has some corrosion that makes it a bit more difficult to be certain. It does look to have the wavy left ribbon style which was used in 1920 and 1921. 1924 is a possibility (has smaller waves) but I think less likely. The 1921 buffalo's have enhanced hair detail going into the braid which I don't see here leaving 1920 S as most likely in my opinion.

I can't tell with the corrosion if it is a two feather but 1920 S does have a 2F variety.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jordan1em84 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you guys so much!!!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8002 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always used vinegar with a few good sprinkles from a salt shaker. Mix it up good and by morning you'll have your answer. It destroys any value but your coin isn't worth much at all. Experiment, have fun.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jordan1em84 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys I really appreciate it and I ended up using white vinegar and some peroxide this is what happened

Pillar of the Community
United States
8002 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  10:17 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Leave it in there longer.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
1126 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It definitely not going to hurt the value. I say hit it again and maybe we can find out if it's a 1920 S. If you can let us know if the small feather between the neck and the largest feather is there. I think I see it some trace of it in the last photo.
Edited by sheldius
01/22/2022 8:45 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 876Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: