Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cosmo III 1677 Silver Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 361Next Topic  
Valued Member

Italy
248 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  08:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me confirm this coin. I did not have a chance to get an exact measurement, but it certainly looked around 44 mm and 31.xx g.

I have looked at comparables online and it seems to fit. But ... Admittedly I am very bad at this haha...

It is priced around $70. Better comps - without the pendant fixture - are listed much higher...

Any thoughts, insights, or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5400 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Piastra of the Grand DUchy of Tuscany: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces96407.html

The translation of the obverse legend is "Cosimo III, by the grace of God, 6th Grand DUke of Etruria."

The Medici dukes used Etruria in place of Tuscany for the name of the Grand Duchy. The VI at the end of the legend refers to Cosimo being the sixth to hold the title of Grand Duke. As best I can tell, this is a peculiarity of Italian city-states not seen elsewhere.

I have one of these (1678 I think). It looks OK to me, just worn. That sounds a fair price for the condition .... probably I paid 4 times more, from a reputable auction house.
Edited by tdziemia
01/18/2022 08:52 am
Valued Member
Italy
248 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought so. The strike looks good, but they pendant thing is a bit off putting ... Although the metal work looks old.

I have seen a few others that were turned into pendants....
Valued Member
Italy
248 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok. So I bought the coin; when I went back to the shop it was discounted - items in these shops are discounted after 60, 90, 120 days; this one was in a case, hanging out of sight since August, so I paid far less than $70. It weights 31.6 and its 45 mm d. Based on comparables I found online, I am going to say this coin is authentic and probably not worth much, but well worth what I paid. Yes, no? Either way, I'm happy with it.
Edited by Roma2021
01/18/2022 3:56 pm
Learn More...
United States
23314 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@roma, since the cutoff date for coins posted in the ancients and medieval subforum is 1600 AD, I'm going to move your thread to the world coin section.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Italy
248 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! I am sorry, for some reason I thought it was 1700.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely worth what you paid for it, congratulations!
Valued Member
Italy
248 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, @t360... I have posted four other finds on these forums - one bad buy which I didn't run through the forum first - and three I am very happy with. I am not a coin collector, but really enjoy finding interesting, historic coins when I can!
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 361Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: