Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

$10 Fenian Note 1866

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 436Next Topic  

United States
31 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  08:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bubbachismo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Wasn't sure if this was considered US enough or not but I trust the mods to move it if it's in the wrong area. Super cool history to these as they were sold in the 1860s on the US east coast to help support and fund the Irish republics attempt at breaking away from Britain's rule. Mainly an attempt to forcibly grab a spot in canada to have as an Irish Nation. Anyway just wanted to share with the community since I just got it. Hope you all like it and if you have any comments I would love to hear them.

Learn More...
United States
112116 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting!

Quote:
Wasn't sure if this was considered US enough or not but I trust the mods to move it if it's in the wrong area.
I moved it to "Checks, Stocks, and Bonds" for now. Not sure if World Paper Money is a better fit or not.
Pillar of the Community
United States
583 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it! I've seen these from time to time, they were printed by Continental Bank Note Co., an American firm. Interesting that this bond could only be redeemed "six months after the acknowledgement of the Independence of the Irish Nation." So we can presume it was more of a patriotic donation.
Learn More...
United States
112116 Posts
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bubbachismo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correct, continental did print them. As far as just a donation it actually paid 6% annually. They sold 100s of thousands. The rarity happened because the Irish republic actually opened a spot in New York city so holders could cash them in. It stayed open till well into the 1920s when they closed down after many notices in the newspapers. Almost all got returned for their interest payments making any non returned quite scarce. This one came out of an attic in Maine after someone passed away. Other items show a very rich irish Heritage.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 436Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: