Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2017A $1 Note Trinary?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 498Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  2:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good afternoon everyone!

Found this in the till at work today, along with some other really cool finds. I think this is what is called trinary? Do you all think it is worth keeping?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
69015 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This would not be considered a "fancy" serial number by most collectors. I doubt it will ever have much appreciation potential.
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep seeing you use that term "fancy", what do you consider to be "fancy"? I have precious little experience with paper money collectibles so I'm not sure what "fancy" means.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5123 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fancy notes are things like a Radar (example 43211234), a Binary (10101010), ladder (12345678), reverse ladder (98765432), 7 of a kind (88888880), one of a kind (11111111), each having a certain value if you collect that (I don't).

A trinary is a made up term for EBay, the note is worth a $1, some one on ebay may pay more for it but its only worth a dollar.
Edited by hfjacinto
01/19/2022 2:31 pm
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This conflicts with all the research I did on my own, interesting. The serial number checker sites must be giving misinformation.

So a 5 of a kind/6 of a kind/trinary, etc. isn't collectable, only those 5 kinds you listed above?
Edited by Yorkish
01/19/2022 2:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5123 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This conflicts with all the research I did on my own, interesting. The serial number checker sites must be giving misinformation.

So a 5 of a kind/6 of a kind/trinary, etc. isn't collectable, only those 5 kinds you listed above?

There are more "fancy" serial numbers, you can collect what you want, but 5 of a kind, 6 of a kind, trinary are made up terms. There are literally 100's of thousands of 5 of a kind and millions of trinary.

As to what is collectible, collect what you like, there just isn't a lot of upside in saving every single trinary (the one you posted has a large fold, so its even less desirable than a CU one).

Here is a website that gives good details on each type.

https://www.mycurrencycollection.co...rial-numbers

In the end some people collect serial numbers, many others don't. I personally think its a fad, unless the serial number is really cool like 0000 0001, many collectors have no interest.
Edited by hfjacinto
01/19/2022 2:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5123 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a "trinary" that I own, it has NO extra premium other than being a Hawaii note. I never even considered paying extra if they wanted to charge me for the serial number.

Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, so your assessment is a mix of value/economics and personal opinion. So paper currency collectability is more subjective than coin collectability. This is fascinating.

I only collect bills from circulation myself since that is what I have access to (and only a very few, I'm more into coins), so the value of a given bill doesn't really matter to me. I'm more interested in learning the craft and what makes the bills collectable but based on what I'm seeing, paper money collectables are not something I should spend time and effort learning, especially since it seems to be so subjective. Thanks for the info guys, see ya!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
69015 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paper money is neither more nor less subjective than coin collecting. It simply has an added dimension - each note carries its own serial number identity, which gives rise to the "numbers" game. Believe me, it's not a major aspect of the paper money hobby, simply one that gives it a little extra fun (and often added value).
Edited by Coinfrog
01/19/2022 3:30 pm
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3695 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Trinary is a word used to hype a note on eBay when it has nothing else going for it. It adds absolutely no additional value whatsoever. I'm a bit of a currency snob, so I would not keep it.
Canada
25 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SMRStars to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that everyone has their own reason for collecting...I collect silver certificates and if it happens to have numbers that mean something to me then it's a bonus.
Valued Member
Netherlands
133 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  05:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lighthouse250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Basic rule of thumb: If you have to ask whether something is fancy, it's not :)
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 498Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: