Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kuwait 5 Dinar Silver Commemorative 1986

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 417Next Topic  
Valued Member

Italy
292 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  3:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone,

I hope this is the right forum. I found this commemorative today and while looking for information, I found scarce examples. OF course, I am under no illusion it is 'rare' or valueable beyond the few comps I have seen, silver content, etc. but I am curious why it seems scarce? ME and far east bullion commemoratives seem to be very common. Any particular reason this one is less common? Less listed because of less demand? Less minted because of less demand haha
The coin has some darkening on the edges, some very faint marks in the fields, and some rainbow toning. It measures and weights correctly; admittedly, I am not a collector of coins - although I own some bullion - but I buy and sell items I find in thrift and consignment shops and came across this coin at a very reasonable price.

I have to imagine the collector base for this type is very small and likely non-U.S. (I am American, but live in Europe)

Any thoughts, ideas, etc?

Best,

Chris

Valued Member
Italy
292 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose the (non) responses to my thread are an answer to my thread! haha
Learn More...
Australia
14356 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not familiar with this specific medal, but can make some observations.

It doesn't look very "coin-like"; I was skeptical that it was a real coin, and couldn't easily find it in the NGC database because for some reason the database doesn't state it's year.

It's an odd weight; it contains 1 troy ounce of pure silver, but it's made of sterling silver. Bullion stackers won't really want it for that reason.

Finally, it's from pre-Gulf-War Kuwait. No-one knows how many might have been destroyed and melted down by the Iraqi invaders.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
1444 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and couldn't easily find it in the NGC database because for some reason the database doesn't state it's year

NGC is terrible when it comes to listing coins with "no dates." I often have to search through several pages of a certain denomination to find the coin I am looking for. What is really frustrating is that the solution is simple, yet they refuse to implement it.

Having said that, I collect word coins, so I'd like to find one someday to add to my collection. Numista https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces74271.html doesn't list the mintage on this one. But a similar piece from a few years earlier has a mintage of 10,000. So with a low mintage along with what Sap theorized could explain why this one isn't all that common.
Valued Member
Italy
292 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That makes sense. The weight and purity struck me as strange too... Why not make a lower weight with 999? Vs more weight with 925?

I might be interesting in selling this coin when I get back to the u.s. after I live with it for a while....
Valued Member
Italy
292 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I posted a wildly unpopular - no one has reponded in a few days since my post - about another commemorative that I found. These commemoratives are peaking my interest. I see how each one is uniquely researchable. The scarcity of this one is curious - but I still cannot figure out the scarcity of the 1968 Chilean commemorative I posted photos of . . . Chile had some upheaval in the early 1970s, but certainly not invaded. I am beginning to see the intrigue to collecting commemoratives.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 417Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: