Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970 S Lincoln Memorial Cent: Is This A Coin That Looks Like It May Need To Be Graded ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 875Next Topic  
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  11:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Irfyjc to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Edited by Irfyjc
01/20/2022 11:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8370 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First, welcome, second we don't do screen shots, and it is always best to remove your coin from the plastic holder it's in to photograph it for us.

Should you have this coin graded? That's totally up to you, but there is no way to recoup the financial hit you'd take from the high grading fees involved. Your coin is not an error coin, it has Machine Doubling, which is a die event, not an error. Notice it's "shelf-like" doubling? This is classic Machine Doubling which is considered damage and does not bring a premium attached to it. If this coin means something personal to you, sure, send it in to be graded. But if only to increase it's desirability, no, as you can probably buy this coin already graded for only a few dollars.

To see info on what a true doubled die should look like, visit this site:
http://varietyvista.com/01b%20LC%20...201970-S.htm

to the CCF!
ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
United States
44645 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  04:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
8045 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Submission to a third party grading service is a personal decision. I agree with merclover's breakdown.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67685 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same here, except I would disagree that MD is considered "damage".

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
01/21/2022 10:28 am
Learn More...
United States
112244 Posts
Valued Member
United States
377 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well said Merclover
Pillar of the Community
United States
6087 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Submission to a third party grading service is a personal decision.

Totally. I also agree with MD
to Community.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57390 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The machine damaged the devices after the strike. I call that damage. But not the intentional damage we see here all the time. The graders don't discount MD on any grade. But to a collector, most do not want MD on a doubled die. I know I'd pass on them. But I pay nothing extra for a slab coin. Here is one that is a MS-65 coin
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/12992885
Note the value for it? $20.00. So would you spend $50 to have it slabbed? and then sell it for $20? I know I wouldn't. The coin would have to be a $200 coin in order to get anything back as a plus for the process.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1018 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With T-Bop, this is the op's first post. If you wouldn't submit it, why would they. They are looking for advice.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4985 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
With T-Bop, this is the op's first post. If you wouldn't submit it, why would they. They are looking for advice.

I wouldn't submit 99.999% of the coins posted. But I think we should be encouraging the newbies not discouraging them. What's to say the coin won't come back MS 69 (It won't but I'm all for encouragement).
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17196 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But I think we should be encouraging the newbies not discouraging them. What's to say the coin won't come back MS 69 (It won't but I'm all for encouragement).

Helder buddy , again I have to strongly disagree with you. 45 out out of 50 newbies have no idea about sending in coins to be graded . Look how many we've seen in just the past few months , them asking if we think their coins should be sent in when we know that their common AU to low MS coins just don't cut it.

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
4985 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Helder buddy , again I have to strongly disagree with you. 45 out out of 50 newbies have no idea about sending in coins to be graded . Look how many we've seen in just the past few months , them asking if we think their coins should be sent in when we know that their common AU to low MS coins just don't cut it.

And the same 45 get mad at you when you tell them their road rashed Lincoln is only worth a cent or the guy that had the MS68 walking liberty with wear on the high points. When we told him his coin was AU at best he said we had no clue. Hence I am all for encouragement. Yes please slab your road rashed errors and AU common date coins!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17196 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
,I give up . Can someone else please take over ?

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 875Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: