Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1983 Penny Unsure Of Error

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 461Next Topic  

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  02:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Frankx to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Need help.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2312 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  02:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is no error here. Just a vandalize coin.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  02:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Frankx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My camera sucks I'll try to get better pics if it was fake or vandalized you would see the writing on top of the "vandalizing"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2312 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  03:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not about the photo. Me I find OK. Your rim is cover with a material, which I can not say be photos. I will try first acetone for a few hours. By color could be also metal, like lead. Try acetone first. Second, do not be frustrate because I say vandalize. When I see coins like this believe I ask my self if someone has nothing to do then to destroy coins? Nothing against you. more I tell you Welcome here.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  03:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Frankx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry. Yes I'm frustrated. I just wish you could see it in your hand it's different. The metal is part of the penny.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  03:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Frankx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyway I have another
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2312 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  03:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1983-D it is a Cooper plated Zinc at 2.5gr if I am not wrong. so start with the weight. Then we go further. I know the coin in hand is not a photo. Take the other side phot and also on side of the rim. OK, do not be frustrate. They are many possibilities if the material we see over it is a integrant part of the coin and not add. try your best with the photos.
Pillar of the Community
United States
867 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum. Definitely not an error. There are many ways for damage to occur, but there is no way for something like this to heppen during the minting process.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
44700 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  05:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Best practice is to show both sides of a coin.Looks like PMD of some kind to me also.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3899 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  05:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67785 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse pic would help.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like solder and put in a pendent then removed observe the lines in solder under liberty?
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21799 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My camera sucks I'll try to get better pics if it was fake or vandalized you would see the writing on top of the "vandalizing"

There is no need for more pictures. This cannot happen during the minting process so it is not an error. Certainly looks like a dryer coin. You see the letters/numbers on the coin pushing through the rolled metal, they are not "on top" of the metal. Coins stuck in commercial dryers get the edges rolled. Please click the link above.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57472 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the outside edge of the coin is smaller than a normal cent, then it was altered. The weight will be very close to normal.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1035 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a dryer coin
Learn More...
United States
112341 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 461Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: