Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grading Thoughts On This 1844 One Cent

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,731Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
917 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  04:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked this up lately, what do we think?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1634 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  06:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, this is one I will gladly chime in on as you have a scarce variety there, the blundered date 1844/481 where the date was originally punched literally upside down. As to grade, XF-40 . I found mine some time ago in about the same grade as this one...
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
917 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  06:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow I didn't know at all. I can see it now I have had a look at some on PCGS. Lucky find !
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
917 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
2311 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin. Thank you for sharing with us! I agree with the XF grade estimate.
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Pillar of the Community
United States
5534 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO it's not quite XF.
But certainly high VF.

And, yep, definitely the error variety.
About a $400 coin.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
726 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF-40 IMHO. Nice find.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68947 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at VF-30 on this one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  10:08 am  Show Profile   Check pristine2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pristine2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A great coin at VF-35 worthy of some preservation, lest that corrosion progresses much further. It's right on the cusp of a details grade as is.

My guess is that if you send it to NGC requesting preservation services and a graded slab, they will be kind. Well worth the $50 this might entail.

United States
43 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mkirch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! Congrats!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12217 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
obv VF30, rev VF35 nice find on the variety. my concern is whats going on at K10-11 obverse. could be corrosion or some type of ED. to me the coin looks like it was dug and cleaned. hopefully you get a straight grade but I'm not hopeful that would happen. in any case it probably should be slabbed and conserved
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
917 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't expect this so I'm really pleased, thanks everyone. Pristine, I will send it to NGC and do exactly that and hopefully it will straight grade. Would it be worth a quick acetone dip before to see if that ED area is maybe some residue, or not?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2846 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree on the variety ID. Great pick-up!

Obverse VF-35, reverse EF-40. I think it eye appeal nets to VF-35.

Great coin!

EDIT: IMHO, it straight grades.
Edited by fortcollins
01/23/2022 3:05 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12217 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice closeup shot of that area. I think its planchet porosity. nothing will remove it and I would not mess with it. if you are going to get it slabbed consider conservation and she will be fine.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23914 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-30 details, environmental damage.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
917 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2022  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kudos to those who pointed out the environmental damage. It's pretty much top pop for NGC Details though There's only this one AU and 1 in UNC.

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,731Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: