Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Lovely 1741 George II Sixpence

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 670Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
917 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  05:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Recently bought, I really like it, and will be sending it to NGC. Just interested in anyone's grading thoughts?

NGC Catalogues weight at 3.01grams and this one weighs exactly 2.99grams.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19688 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  06:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nearly Fine, (British grading)
Nice appearance, evenly patinated, no problems.
Although worth a thought, not really big enough potential value to justify the grading and shipping fees.

I have lots of coins at multiples of value higher than coin pictured, and yet still not slabbed.

Perhaps beside the point, but museums with large numismatic assets do not slab their coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  06:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF35 (US)
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
639 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Decent example, good metal. UK Good Fine.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68947 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel the right obverse field has been cleaned?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
917 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinfrog that is where I tilted my light to on that bright part.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
461 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a nice coin. I like them a little worn. It's not worth grading if the aim is to increase it's value (you will pay more than you gain) or check it's authenticity (it's real). It's also the perfect type of coin to be able to handle and enjoy raw. Otherwise, why not. Sometimes slabs make storage easier and more uniform.
Edited by JohnConduitt
01/23/2022 11:12 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68947 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got it, thanks!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3954 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  03:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sel - nearly fine?

Are you serious?

That coin is nearly VERY fine and its very neat too, lovely piece. I would not slab it though, an annoying American obsession that has no place here in good old blighty.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
917 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2022  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just got it back, NGC graded XF45. I like slabbing as I either invest in coins or I buy and sell, so it makes sense for me to have them authenticated and graded professionally. Also, this did not cost me much, so it made sense to send to NGC.

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3954 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2022  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably a bit overgraded, but thats Americans for you.

XF45 = VF to gVF in British money.

Way above the almost fine grade given by sel 69. I seriously think he needs to come out of the strict University Professor style grading.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
530 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2022  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bold GF/nvf Cleaned unless your light is replicating the light and dark patches. Not that it really does much to the value on the older brigade. Not much Silver isn't or hasn't been cleaned -wiped-dipped at sometime unless its been in the same hands or family for the generations. But Coins are probably these most difficult static object to capture in a natural state. Unless your a pro behind the lens it is either try and show the lustre or try and show the quality seldom both. Lovely coin I wish I owned it :)

Actually VF/GVF would span the AU section of the US grading. Our grading has been turn on its head by the awful CGS who made the grades so restricted and they undergrade every coin to the point VF/GEF there is very little difference in the coins appearance.
Thank god they no longer grade coins. We had a system for hundreds of years that worked perfectly well and I would refer that system and the books that describe the grades as benchmark.
Edited by zookeeperz
04/05/2022 09:57 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3954 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2022  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats pretty much what I said, my original grading was near VF, my last post was merely a translation. Having similar age Georgian shillings, I know how hard getting a truly uncleaned VF coin is (My budget extends to Fine mostly or a cleaned good Fine).

nVF or whatever, Toby still has a nice historic coin!
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 670Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: