Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bicentennial Quarter Silver Set Questions.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 366Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
326 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  07:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add amnight to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello! I would like to know what is going on with this quarter. On the reverse, it has some stains? Also, missing a reed on the edge? The coin is still in the OGP. Thank you!

Sorry for coming off as rude. I suffer from anxiety!
Pillar of the Community
United States
593 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just looks like tarnish to me
Valued Member
United States
266 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parnelli917 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I may be wrong but I think Bicentennial Silver Sets were proof and came in rigid holders. That said, I've also seen tarnish and spots in both proof and mint sets. In humid environments moisture is the coin's enemy and seems to sneak in even mint holders. Not sure about the missing reed.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2284 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the missing reed is missing at 180 deg. it is from collar. The silver spots by the most recent studies could come from cleaning residues, and in contact with the caps material, with time accelerate formation of carbon spots. It is not an definitive conclusion and studies continue., it is an preliminary supposition and Canada, US and others mints country work on the issue.
Pillar of the Community
United States
593 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Parnelli917 - Bicentennial Silver sets were also available in Uncirculated sets. They were packaged in cellophane and in red envelopes similar to the blue IKE envelopes. The set had a cardboard frame that you could pull self-adhesive strip cover off of to frame the cello.

Pillar of the Community
United States
593 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the curious...

Proof packaging (actually came in a foam package and you had to assemble.)

Looking at amnight's quarter, it's tough for me to see if the reed is broken or just tarnished so bad that it appears broke.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8031 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a good number of the uncirculated sets packaged as shown in PlumbCrazy814's post.
Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add amnight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@silviosi could you elaborate more on the 180 degree comment? The missing tooth is above the "D" in "UNITED" on the reverse as shown by the circled area in the 4th picture. Thank you!
Pillar of the Community
United States
593 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
amnight - this video might help
jv0s7MAJ1x4
Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add amnight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Plum Thank you for the video link! Much appreciated!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2284 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to be late answer.

Yes, if the collar is not tide correctly them an laps between the two parts of the collar will have a gap. Every side of the collar cover half of the coins. The max they can be will be equivalent wit one rim reed. In your case of the coin if one side has a missing side, at 180 degrees must miss also because the collar was open in the roll.

According by the studies this can happened and will be readjust after 2 min of striking in the modern strike. I have no data for 1976 strikes so I can not anticipate the frequency. If it is this is sure it is not a frequent strike error.

I can not diagnose only by only one side. Also in old time was see that due of some thicker planchet, the collar open upon the force of the strike.

Many thing that the Mint change the chain of production just for the faster production. This it is a half reason, the main it is the Mint want the most durable and less error or varieties to occur.

Nice topic.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 366Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: