Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1858 Flying Eagle Cent Doubled Die - DDO-002, FS-101

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 363Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4411 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  02:08 am Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This DDO seems to be a bit on the rare side, with a total in all grades of 4 at PCGS. I knew the coin was shiny cleaned when I bought it, even though seller very misleadingly had it as "choice BU." I figure overpaying a bit for a cleaned coin would be made up for by the high details grade on a rare variety.

I am thinking this will slab MS-Details Cleaned, but honesty don't know squat about the "genuine" label. What would be the best course of action here?

1858 fling eagle cent doubled die - DDO-002, FS-101

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4009 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd personally call this AU Details, but I'm sure a TPG would say Unc Details. I do feel hand out Unc too freely. Do see some pitting, corrosion could have been removed. Not sure as to the Details designation; cleaned, corrosion removed, altered surfaces?

As far as "genuine" holders, I've never gone that route. Guess it's more of a psychological route to go for people that don't want a Details designation and a reason on the front of the slab. To my knowledge they still list the code on the reverse of the slab.

Regardless, great find and tough variety.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2125 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could be wrong but I don't think PCGS does a "genuine only" slab anymore - you either get it slabbed with a specific Details designation on the front and "genuine - not gradable" on the back, or request that it not be slabbed at all. I'm going off what's currently published here https://www.PCGS.com/submissionguide

There's an old press release from 2008 describing their "revised genuine service" that shows the old " PCGS Genuine" label which shows the details code but does not have the Details description on the label, but I can't find anything saying that they still do that. https://www.PCGS.com/news/PCGS-revi...uine-service Maybe somebody has a link to different info.

I guess you could roll the dice but the variety seems obvious, so it's a personal choice whether you want it in a slab officially designated or not. ANACS would be a cheaper solution for that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
642 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find, I'd go with MS-Details cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4411 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the great comments! My initial plan was to see about PCGS MS details cleaned as an end game, and although Ty thinks it's AU I just don't see any circulation wear. So it'll go in the pile to end up at PCGS and we shall see how it comes out. Given the long return times I don't suppose I will have it back for quite some time, but I will update this thread whenever that is.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 363Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: