Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rhode Island Quarter Struck On A Dime ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 397Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1508 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  1:09 pm Show Profile   Check twohawks's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this thing in one of the junk boxes of modern world coins. It glues or something on the reverse this is struck and is not machined. This thing is 2.8 Grams and I see no reeding.

Edited by twohawks
01/24/2022 1:10 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
14673 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is PMD
The obverse has been removed and the rims have been milled off.
A 10 cent planchet would only weigh 2.27 g. Yours is too heavy
Bedrock of the Community
United States
44638 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed with PMD.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
23237 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a manufactured "error" to me. Not sure it is even worth 25 cents anymore.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1018 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe the start of a love token?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2525 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like one side of a Magician's coin. Diameter and thickness have been reduced to allow it to fit into the hollowed half of another quarter.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8061 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks like one side of a Magician's coin. Diameter and thickness have been reduced to allow it to fit into the hollowed half of another quarter.

I agree with this idea, and being part of a magician; coin might (note that word) also account for the discolored area. Sometimes the magicians coins are tooled to make two headed or two tailed coins. A shell and its insert are made.

Since the insert is meant to stay inside the shell, a blob of flux and solder are put between the insert and its shell. Then everything is heated to melt the solder. Somehwere around here I have one that came apart (don't know how). The mark on yours reminded me of it.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Pillar of the Community
United States
8370 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post mint damage. No value, not even 25 cents anymore.
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1508 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Check twohawks's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I "Kind of Agree" I have a single issue.

The silver area is larger than the copper under it. The scratches on the base are from me trying to scrape the glue that was holding onto a card.

The copper core is a smaller diameter and has no tooling that I can see under a loop. To mill this, you need to secure it to something, and that would leave marks I would think somewhere. The copper core being smaller that the top is an issue as well.

Now I also think something is not right, but the How and the Why is where I am at.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8370 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The copper core is a smaller diameter

This would suggest damage from an acid that ate at the copper core.
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
1521 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  01:40 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with that this is half of a Magician's coin. That would explain the machining and the glue/flux residue.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 397Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: