Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1834 Capped Bust 50c. You Vs. NGC

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,035Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11919 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this is a sweet coin. I cant see any signs of circulation. grade anywhere between MS60-MS63. I'm going with MS63
Pillar of the Community
United States
3542 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10458 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS62 is my guess.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
5511 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO low AU (50 or 53).
Obverse looks 58 (or better).
But the reverse shows a bit too much wear.

But since the obverse hold more weight in grading than the reverse I'll up my guess to 55.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4024 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The toning is gray and even and the fields do not show signs of disturbance but I don't see much pull-away from the devices; of course, many CBH's saw some sort of cleaning at one point or another and the TPG's often give them a pass except in more egregious (i.e. unappealing/unattractive) cases.

Interesting point @ paralyse and great breakdown. There isn't much in the way of pull-away toning, but some can be seen below the date. A minimal amount around the stars and reverse lettering. This may be the topic of a whole new thread entirely, but I don't typically see much pull-away toning on CBH's and always attributed it to the striking methods.

Grade reveal tomorrow.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9377 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am far from an expert on the series. Your explanation makes sense to me. I'd love to have it no matter what.
Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
867 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flag4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in the AU58 camp as well. Regardless of grade, it's a stunningly beautiful example of the series.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  12:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find this quite an attractive coin. I'll go with MS63.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3719 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  06:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tough call, not much wear, but not a lot of luster, either. I'd say AU-58 or MS-63, leaning towards 58.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4024 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many of you called it! In hand there is a bit more luster than is pictured, but it is subdued. This one IMO had an old dip and has since re-toned. No large distracting hits or many smaller hits for that matter. Some cabinet rub on the high points, but no signs of circulation wear in hand. I'm guessing NGC bumped it down to AU territory due to the dipping and lack of luster. With a bit more luster I could easily see MS62/63. I usually don't gravitate towards the lack luster examples, but strike and toning won me over in the eye appeal department.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2098 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a beauty.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67753 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats. Just a killer coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1530 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Under greysheet, not a bad deal. Hardly any wear for an AU-58. Heavy toning seems to just eat up the luster on these bust halves. This looks original, I don't think there was an old dipping.

Very nice
Edited by jacrispies
01/26/2022 8:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
592 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2022  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic looking 58. I thought is was going to be in a 62 holder.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,035Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: