Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

S. Severus Denarius Emesa Mint Vic Avg

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 472Next Topic  
Valued Member

France
221 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  2:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Dear friends,
I want to share the latest purchase of S. Severus Denarius Emesa Mint Victoria. RIC VI 420.
The coin is some worn but not easy to find.
Obverse : IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG COS II - Head of Septimius Severus, laureate, right.
Reverse: VIC AVG - Victory, winged, naked to waist, standing left, inscribing AVG on shield set on column and holding palm sloped over left shoulder in left hand.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4593 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I read the reverse legend as VICT AVG, if that makes any difference. I don't find the extent of wear objectionable.

Colligo ergo sum
Valued Member
France
221 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  04:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Lucky Cuss-Thank for your comment. My coins really has rev: VIC AVG.
And I could not find any specimens on http://www.acsearch.
There are some variations of RIC 420 (RIC Emesa II, 9 as it listed in Wildwings.com)
Obverse : IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG COS I ; IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG COS II
Reverse: VICTORIA AVG; VICTORIAE AVG; VICT AVG; VIC AVG as mine one.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1866 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  05:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A nice example of a scarcer type. The VICT AVG reading is quite clear.

I only have one example of the type and it simply reads VIC-TO-RIA

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3897 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  05:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The VICT AVG reading is quite clear.

I wouldn't call the OP coin particularly worn, but of course @maridunum's example is absolutely stunning in comparison.
Valued Member
France
221 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  06:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, it is VICT
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1866 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks to be the same reverse die as this example.

Valued Member
France
221 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  05:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@maridvnvm - Yes, the same die . Could you share the link of the picture?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1866 Posts
Valued Member
France
221 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

@maridvnvm - Many thanks for the link.
There is a mistake in the description of the reverse of the coin - the seller saw the VIC on the reverse and does not see the T.
On my coin the T is clearly visible.
Edited by pastpost
01/26/2022 12:31 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 472Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: