Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1963 D/S Or S/D, Would Like Some Opinions And Thoughts

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 498Next Topic  

United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  8:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add T-rex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello everyone found this in my change, I think there is doubling or mayby tripling in areas such as the columns and #3 in date doesn't look rite, probably da.age but what do you think?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17438 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , From your photos hard to tell much . When posting pics always show obverse and reverse . I can virtually assure you it's not S/D or D/S .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1625 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
again, I concur with T-bop that it is impossible to have a D/S on this date, since the San Francisco mint took a hiatus on cent production from 1956 to 1967; more likely a re-punched mintmark or damage to the mintmark. Probably not likely that there would be any doubling of this coin since I have not heard of any yet
I encourage you to keep trying picture posting, a little trial and error might help...
Edited by mrwhatisit
01/24/2022 9:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8508 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with all above.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9000 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68841 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same.

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
23687 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For sure something is going on with this mintmark, but when I crop, enlarge, and enhance your pic, it becomes too pixelated to quite figure out what. There also seems to be either a scratch or a die crack between the top of the six and the top of the three.
Please post a nice close-up for us. Thx.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-rex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm tryin ,all this from my fone. Not sure what's going to go through but that's all I'm doing tonight you guys have a good night

Pillar of the Community
United States
8770 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try to give us a closeup of the date/mintmark area. Zoom in with your fone, err, phone.
ša va bien aller

United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-rex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hope THESE go thru, looks a little different today, best shots I have, hope they help

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58041 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just damage to the coin. There were no 'S' coins that year because that mint closed in 1955 and didn't reopen until 1965 and didn't use the 'S' mintmark punch again until 1968 on proof cents and business strike cents. So it could not happen in 1963. It is a normal 'D' mintmark with damage to the mintmark area.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-rex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kind of what I thought after I cleaned up a little bit thanks for your help
Pillar of the Community
United States
8770 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I full heartedly agree with coop. Your mintmark is just damaged.
ša va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  04:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wheatman77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it could have happed in 1963, they could have reused a s mint mark die to be used in phili, grinded the s down most of the way and added a D, The us mint has done this many times before
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1165 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No it couldn't have happened. 8 years latter, And if they ground off the s, which is punched into the die that would leave a low spot in the die, which would be a high spot on every coin that was struck by that die.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 498Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: